Hello to all of the JCB afficianados on this board. I have a question about the 2012 JCB 135 skid loader (actually it's a Volvo MC60C). I'm considering buying a used one with the intention of removing the complete boom assembly (arm) and mounting a forklift mast on the front of the machine. The issue comes with the operating weight of the machine is around 6100 and change. How much weight can I shed removing the boom and cylinders? We build our own forklift mast and could get the add on for that under 500 lbs. but would like to keep the final operating weight under 5500 lbs. better yet near 5000. Any one have an idea what the boom assembly weighs? Also would the steering be responsive enough for the precision required for forklift work?
i am a jcb guy, but this has bad idea written all over it! the steering would be much less than ideal compared to a conventional forklift. i don't know but i would guess that boom weighs around 800 lbs.
I guess my question should be if the pilot steering would be as responsive as conventional controls, I already know that the forklift mast on the SSL is a wonderful idea, I have 4 of them, one we've had for nearly 40 years and have built masts for some friends. A SSL with a mast will run circles around a conventional forklift, we have both but even in the warehouse if we have room to operate, the SSL is faster. Most of our use is on rough and or soft ground. My attraction to the JCB is the side door, but total weight is also an issue and the 135 is the smallest they make. We drag these machines to several locations per day and they are mostly remote access. Does the 6100 lb operating weight include a bucket? I see the bucket weighs 300 lbs and if the boom and cylinders weigh 800 lbs I might be getting in range.
By the way, thanks for responding Dave.
There is a Bee keeper here that has Bobcat with a forklift mast on it. I don't get why it is necessary since the hives are certainly light enough but whatever.
Hives get very heavy when full of honey, since honey is 50% heavier than water. A two story hive with honey will weigh 100-120 Lbs. When you load a 18 wheeler 12 ft. high with bees going to California you 'will' want a forklift. Having everything palletized makes an operation much more efficient, kind of like using a tractor to plow a field rather than turning all that dirt over with a shovel.
i was not aware of this strategy, is a rough terrain forklift no good? my guess is there is no bucket included with machine weight. do you know what a conventional boom weighs? the jcb boom should weigh about 20% more than a 2 arm setup. the electric joysticks are not going to be as good as conventional controls for this application. if your in wide open spaces they would work better than narrow alleys. to be more precise with the controls you almost have to be moving forward or backward while turning, and there are ways to fitness things... lining up from a distance would work better than turning directly in front of the pallet to grab it. i have 2000 hours on these controls, and i don't think i would have any problems doing what your saying, but its going to be slower than conventional controls getting jobs done.
Good to know. These guys pull a S130 BC with the mast behind a 5500 truck. I think they use it out in the field to gather the hives.
Seems like a Moffett would be the cats pajamas for this.... We have two of them and they are extremely versatile. http://www.hiabus.com/models/moffett-forklifts
Can you post a picture of the current unit? Thanks
Repowered with water cooled 29 HP EFI Kawasaki.
I have thought about them but too wide for a trailer and too heavy to mount on the back of the truck size we use. Mostly 5500's and a 3500.
IQUOTE=KSSS;530448]Good to know. These guys pull a S130 BC with the mast behind a 5500 truck. I think they use it out in the field to gather the hives.[/QUOTE] I see by your link that you are in Idaho Falls, beautiful place, I spent about 10 days there 2 times about 6 years ago. I rented a potato cellar in Hamer to winter bees in. Nice folks up there.
Looks like I hit the application right on the head. Yes it is beautiful here, no shortage of potato cellars in Hamer. Good luck.