I have a JD 160C LC excavator that shut right off and won't start. Any ideas what the problem might be? We've tried a new fuel filter.
Welcome to HEF DeBoz ! Did you check your fuses? Check the F6 fuse behind the seat, and check the fuses that are next to the engine controller under the cover in the compartment behind the cab.
Checked F6 and F20 fuses, they are ok.
You need to check the fuses next to the ECU. It does crank, correct?
Yes, it cranks fine.
Ok, thanks. I'll try that next.
If the fuses are good, then you need to check for engine codes. I'll send you the procedure to check for engine codes. Check your messages.
Got it! Thank you. Do you have a list of trouble codes and what they are?
On the way.
Thank you for the codes. the codes I'm reading are 32,33,26,74. 74 is the one that concerns me.
Did the code 74 come after the code 32? Or after the 33? Either way, 74 (1076.06) is a short to ground (the .06 is excessive current). Visually inspect the wiring thoroughly from the injection pump all the way back to the ECU for any shorts to ground. Test the wires with a meter to see if they are shorted to each other or any other wire or ground. While the DE10 injection pump has had many issues, the 160 machines have had their fair share of wiring issues to the injection pump.