The Heater/AC fan in my John Deere 200LC recently stopped working. It ran intermittently for a while. but now it isn't starting at all. The fan used to run at all speed settings, but it wouldn't hold its speed (it kept on slowing down and accelerating, and making unusual but muffled sounds) and as it ran the average speed of the fan kept on going down. The air conditioner part was (and should still be) fine, as it blew nice cold air when the fan was able to run. Now, I hear the relays click when I turn on or change the speed setting of the fan, but the fan doesn't start at all. Today, I opened up the machine a bit by removing the tray and vents behind the seat (what idiot put then in such an awful inaccessible place), and felt around and pressed all the connectors I could find together, but that did nothing. The previous owners of the machine mush have had some terrible lazy or wicked operators who filled the area behind the seat with dozens of old rags, shirts, hats, candy wrappers, cigarette boxes, a shovelful of gravel, and a couple shovelfuls of sand. I removed all that crap too but it didn't do anything to fix the issue, it just let me see all the wiring harness mess back there. I also checked the fuses and they are fine. All the other climate controls, such as the ones that redirect the air through the vents work fine. I am unsure if this is a mechanical issue with the fan bearing, an electrical issue, or both. I'm not much of a mechanic, and can't afford to bring a dealer mechanic for the issue. My time is also rather limited. My questions: 1. What is the most likely cause of the problem? 2. How can I remove the fan/fan motor without taking apart too much? 3. I see a branch from a wiring harness going into the bottom of the fan motor. I assume that this is the power supply for the motor. I tried to disconnect the connector going into the fan motor (to check with a volt meter), but it was a locking connector, and I couldn't get it out. How do I disconnect this connector? 4. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the fan and associated controllers and relays etc.? The parts and service manuals are very limited when it comes to circuitry and the fan motor in general. The only HVAC part mentioned in the repair manual is the AC compressor which is fine. The parts manual shows a bit more, but still not enough. Thanks
i have a 135c and the finns broke off and it made the hole seat vibrate like one of those chairs at the mall you put mony in. know a guy with a 160. same problem. and getting to it is more work then its worth. sweat in the summer freeze in the winter.
Not certain how your arrangement is, you may be able to remove blower components without major disassembly, but many excavators I've worked on you pretty much have to take the seat out to gain workable access to heat/AC components. There's just limited space for so much stuff inside the cab of an excavator. From what I see on the parts breakdown, your machine uses a thermal resistor to obtain different fan speeds, item #58 in the illustration. You symptoms don't describe the resistor itself being bad, but you could have a bad plug connection at the resistor. I'd take a guess that your problem is most likely the fan motor has given up. If you can get the motor removed, or even the wires going to motor, then you could put jumper wires on it to see if it works proper or not.
They're a bitch to get apart,plain and simple. Have you changed/cleaned the hvac filters? (especially the one under the vents at the rear window)
I got the connector off the motor and checked it with a volt meter. It is giving the motor full 24V DC at the high setting, and the correct lower voltages at lower speed settings. In other words the electronics, resistors, controllers, and wiring harnesses are fine. The problem is that the fan motor is shot. I gave it power but it didn't do anything. I tried tapping it but that still didn't revive it. The bearings didn't seem too bad. I guess I'll have to replace the motor. I hope it doesn't cost too much.