Trying to diagnose an issue with my machine. 2006 John Deere 210LE , 20k hours, Serial #885163. This machine has been well maintained since buying it new. All fluids changed every 500 hours. Issue now is while backing up and front wheels are straight I will get a bang which you can both hear and feel about every 50 feet or so in travel. If 4wd is turned off, it does not do it. If I have wheels slightly turned to the left or right, it will not do it. Only while traveling with wheels straight in reverse and in 4wd. I’ve visually checked u joints. Raised wheels off ground and checked for play/slip with long bar as well as turning full rotation left/right. King pins and u joints all seem good. Kind of thinking it may have lost a tooth on front axle gears. Any one have experience with this issue? Help is greatly appreciated!
Run it up for 2 minutes and dump the front differential oil into a white container and you will see how much silver or pieces there is. Simon C
With that many hours on a 210 its highly likely the front differtial is worn out if that is factory you got your money's worth out of that differential.
20K hours is impressive. Have you had it that whole time? Time to drain and inspect the oil on front planetaries and differential. Has any of that stuff been worked on already?
Bought new in Dec 2005. All original to date.Have replaced kingpins/bearings a couple times. Have always changed all fluids every 500 hrs and eng oil every 200 hrs. Oil seems clean with every change, but I’m going to send a sample in I think. What I can’t figure out is why it only does it when wheels are straight and in reverse.
By 20K hours you can expect differential side gears that look like a Cross to be well worn out. Run it up, dump the oil in white container and if any or lots of bronze you will need to go into her. Do you by any chance have a tire with bigger circumference, as going straight will cause drive line build up. Simon C
Tires are same size. I’m going to do a service on it tomorrow morning. I’ll use a white container and pull a sample as well for Deere.
Serviced front & rear diffs this morning. Clean oil. Not even micro shavings/metal particles on magnetic drain plugs. Oil looked fresh enough to run another 500 hours. No particles, debris, metal pieces, or floaters noted in oil or white bucket.
Did you push and pull on those front universals? Weird that its only in reverse and wheels straight with tractor and only every 50ft or so. I guess I'm stumped?
Well if the oil came out that clean, then you at least have that part of your diagnosis done and can move on. Does that thing have outbound planetary gears that could be having a problem. Have only worked on one once so can't remember. Simon C
Might be a Carden joint and not visible, on the U-joints.