Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310SG trying to track down air leak in fuel system

Armymutt ยท 2026-03-10 13:15

My backhoe likes to die at random times. Can't get the manual fuel pump to get to the point of being firm. I suspect air is leaking in from somewhere. The hose going into the pump and up over the filter is loose where the small tube goes into the nut at the fitting on the pump - is it supposed to wobble? I checked the cap on top of the filter "housing". O-ring is seated and the cap is tight. Filter seems to be sealed. Where else can I check?

Replies5
  1. #1Diesel Dave2026-03-10 14:36

    The hose can wobble somewhat as there is a rubber seal grommet (pt # E87197) at the hose to transfer pump connection. Check the grommet for any cracking. Did you ever check the condition of the fuel line strainer which is part of the fuel guage sender unit ?

  2. #2Simon C2026-03-10 18:47

    Putting air to the top of fuel tank with air blower and rag ball over filler hole at about 1-2 psi being careful to not over pressurize and have a diesel shower will show up loose fittings or leaking o-rings on filter housings. If something else starts to leak then it probably can suck air. Simon C

  3. #3Armymutt2026-03-12 21:35

    Temps dropped 50 degrees between yesterday and today and still dropping. Gonna reattack this next week. I haven't checked the sending unit parts yet. Trying to figure out how to access them. I know where they should be from the diagram, but there's a bunch of stuff in the way. Do I need to pull up the floor? I crawled underneath to have a look, but all I can see are hoses going in through a hole on the back of a mounting bracket or wall to the rear of the tank.

  4. #4Diesel Dave2026-03-13 11:06

    Fuel guage sender removal instructions below.

  5. #5Armymutt2026-03-17 11:29

    I got the cover off and can see the sending unit. Neither of these hoses look like they are in great condition. The left one has a crack on the end - whether it's all the way through or not, who knows. According to the diagram I have, the right one is the supply hose and the left is the return. Would a crack in the return matter? Seems like it wouldn't have a vacuum on it - my experience is more in the area of vintage motorcycles though. I'm thinking about replacing the fuel supply hose and testing before dropping the tank to remove the sending unit.