Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 250 Brake question

Paul Hewgill ยท 2020-03-03 13:33

Thanks for letting me in to the forum! Im currently doing a brake job on a 1999 250 skid steer. I sent the Brake units out for rebuilding, Upon return one unit installed fairly easy as I only had to compress the spring that engages the brakes about 1/8 of an inch to install the pin. (Hydraulic cylinder has a mechanical spring inside that hold brakes on when no hydraulic power is supplied) The other Brake unit appears I would have to compress that spring cylinder about 1 inch!! to to install the pin!! Im not sure which unit is rebuilt correctly ? or if i'm wrong about something?? Thanks so much in adance! Cheers

Replies5
  1. #1jav2020-03-03 14:01

    Paul- why not contact the rebuilder? It seems to me you sent these out and paid for the service... if there's a difference, they should be able to answer why that is. Sorry I don't much about them so I can't offer any guidance personally

  2. #2Paul Hewgill2020-03-03 16:22

    Hi Jav The brake units went to a third party for rebuilding, Im afraid of getting the runaround and want to boot this thing out of my shop quickly. I'll take out the bad unit as soon as soon as I find out which one and return it or fix it myself. Cheers!

  3. #3Paul Hewgill2020-03-05 08:43

    Pulled the units apart, One unit was not rebuilt,,,.. About .100 of brake lining missing! It was a head scratcher!! Always like to post the results! Cheers!

  4. #4mg23612020-03-06 05:50

    Welcome to HEF Paul ! That was easy!

  5. #5joeblow2020-03-14 20:08

    They are parking brakes which usually not a big deal with skids.