Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 260 skid steer no crank no start

Hube · 2019-09-18 20:47

Hello all. Having problems starting my John Deere 260 skid steer. When you turn the key to "on", the gauges move and the LED lights light up and the fuel pump turns on. When you turn the key to start it, there is a click and everything turns off- the gauges go back to 0, fuel pump turns off and the LEDs turn off. If you try to crank it again a second later, nothing happens at all except for one LED briefly and faintly lighting up for half a second. If you wait about 30 seconds between turning the key to start, it will move the gauges, turn on fuel pump, light up the LEDs and will click but never starts. For some reason it loses power to the LEDs and gauges after the first turn of the key. The battery is brand new 950 CCA. I have replaced the ignition switch thinking that was the problem, but it acted the same after replacing switch. Out of the 3 relays behind the fuse box, I was told the first one could be the problem. I took it out and the relay clicks, but I'm not very experienced and am not sure how to thoroughly test it. 3 months ago it started up fine... Anyone out there have an idea of what the problem could be? Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #103spfld2019-09-20 17:18

    Have you checked battery cables and battery ends real good. It sounds like a loss of continuity to the battery or ground.

  2. #2Hube2019-09-20 17:25

    The battery that's in there is bad. You have to raise the boom to get the battery out and I can't do that because it wont start. I have a brand new battery that I connected to the battery cable terminals with jumper cables and that is what I have been using to try starting it.

  3. #303spfld2019-09-20 19:42

    Are you sure you’ve got cables big enough to jump off with a completely- Dead battery. Have you tried using a remote starter switch and connecting it to the starter. If you have enough amps to the starter and your remote start doesn’t work it’s probably starter or selonoid.

  4. #403spfld2019-09-20 19:44

    I’m not familiar with that machine, you may not be able to get to starter either.