Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 27ZTS Slow and no power

RoMa Gold ยท 2020-05-17 13:57

I have a 2003 JD 27ZTS that runs slow and has less power than it should. When I first start it everything is slow and the engine bogs down when i try to track anywhere. Once it is warmed up it is better but not great. Yesterday we used it for a couple hours straight and it completely lost power. The engine slowed and it developed a strange "whistle" from the exhaust. Once cooled down it was better, until it got hot again. Could this be a fuel issue or should I be looking at restrictions in hydraulic system?

Replies8
  1. #1mg23612020-05-18 05:33

    Welcome to HEF RoMa ! Sounds like an engine power issue. Check your fuel system first. Try a new fuel filter. Make sure the fittings going into and out of the fuel filter are tight (they have issues there). Make sure your fuel supply and return lines are clear back to the tank and also not kinked anywhere. Being as old as a ZTS is you might be having a fuel line collapsing on the inside. May want to post a video of the exhaust whistle.

  2. #2RoMa Gold2020-05-18 15:04

    Thanks for the feedback mg2361. I'm going to get all new filters tomorrow (today is holiday in Canada) and try to get the machine the 2km out of the bush where it broke down. I think I may also replace the fuel lines at the same time so I can eliminate that as a possible issue. One other thing I noticed is the first fuel filter, i think it is a water separator, is only 1/4 full when the pump runs and seems to have air bubbles or turbulence in it. Could that be a sign of a restriction or air leak? I really like the machine but it never has run quite right since a bought it. I'll keep you posted on what I find....expect lots of follow up questions...lol

  3. #3RoMa Gold2020-05-19 02:55

    Ok...so now the machine is really causing me grief. It started tonight but had zero power so I shut it off....made sure that the transfer pump was running. Took out the fuel filters and checked them....seemed clean. Put them back in and now it doesn't start! Just pumps black smoke on cranking. I looked in the service manual but cant seem to find rated pressure for electric pump. Any idea what it should be? Mine runs but seems kind of weak....I can deadhead it with my thumb over end of feed line to injection pump. I also took video of fuel filter and exhaust noise when running.

  4. #4mg23612020-05-19 04:45

    And you won't find one either. For some reason that is not published. So long as you have positive pressure (0.5 - 1.5 psi) under all operating conditions you should be good. However junk in the tank pickup or in the lines can affect that pressure. Don't trust your eyes, change them.

  5. #5RoMa Gold2020-05-22 00:00

    Ok..so now for an update....got new fuel filter and installed it.....with electric pump on it primes and fills. Have good fuel flow both coming to and leaving fuel rail at injection pumps. Machine still wont start. Turns and chugs black smoke but wont quite catch and run. Undid fuel line at injector...no fuel on cranking. Undid same line coming out from injector pump...no fuel there either when cranking. Is there a fuel shut off solenoid I should check? Should there be fuel at pump/injector when cranking? I'm kind of flummoxed what to try next.

  6. #6mg23612020-05-22 05:03

    There is a fuel shutoff solenoid sticking out the back of the block (left side when looking at the engine) just below the left most injection pump.

  7. #7RoMa Gold2020-06-02 11:21

    Ok...so finally got up to my machine again. So far...new filters, new fuel, checked fuel solonoid ( works and fuel rack free) bleed injectors. Install new electric fuel pump. Got machine running and seemed to have power again. Unfortunately it was short lived. As soon as it warmed up the exhaust whistle came back and now it spews black smoke at full throttle. Still no power....but at least it runs. Service manual suggested blocked air cleaner but it taking them out makes no difference. Any input what I should try next?

  8. #8mg23612020-06-03 05:36

    That engine does not have a turbo so it is not that. Air intake hose from the air cleaner to the engine OK? Plugged exhaust?