Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 304H “Engine Braking” hard

XCRunner0 ยท 2022-11-27 13:54

I have recently purchased a 304H and my crew and I noticed that immediately when you take your foot off the gas, the machine drastically slows as if the brakes are dragging. It also gives that hydraulic whine. Is this normal or should it coast more when input power is removed? I have checked the brakes and removed the parking and service brakes and it is not in the brakes. So this makes me think that it is in the hydraulics. I wouldn't be surprised if this was normal, but this machine "engine brakes" itself a lot more than my other machine which is a JD 444E. I've also parked it on a hill with a steep grade ~(75%) and when I place it in neutral, the machine barely inches downward. Again, this might be normal, like a skidsteer wouldnt move if on a slope, but it just feels a little more than I anticipated. Anyone have a 304, or another compact JD, like a 244, 324, or 344 that can confirm? Thanks

Replies2
  1. #192U 34062022-11-27 13:56

    If its a hydrostatic drive I'd say that sounds normal based on my experience.

  2. #2mg23612022-11-28 04:54

    It's normal for the 304. The 444E is a little different. That machine was designed to act like a torque converter machine even though it is hydrostatic. Let the foot off the brake on the 444 and it starts to roll like a TC machine. The 304 usually won't move until you give it a little throttle.