Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310 SG Stabilizer issues

nathan812 · 2025-03-17 11:00

I am having issues with my 310 SG blowing the seals in the left side stabilizer only. Does anyone know what I should look for or clean to help solve this problem? I have had the cylinder repacked 3 times and it will only last a few hours before it is leaking again. Is it a control valve issue? If so is there something I can take out and clean?

Replies12
  1. #1Diesel Dave2025-03-17 16:12

    You have a machine serial # ?

  2. #2HarleyHappy2025-03-17 21:30

    Any chance there was a restrictor in in originally? When you say blowing the seals, do you mean internally or at the actual ram? Is fluid gushing out the seal? Possible bad gland, bad rod, could be a lot if things. Need some more information.

  3. #3nathan8122025-03-18 09:11

    Fluid leaks out of the end cap of the cylinder, not the one by the rod but the end cap seal. I had it repacked last week put it back together and within two hours of putting it back together it was leaking again. The serial number is TO310SG945266

  4. #4Diesel Dave2025-03-18 10:40

    Standard stabilizers (90 mm) bore seal kit part # AHC22108 . Extended stabilizers (100 mm) bore seal kit part # AHC22109 . What condition is the cylinder barrel in where o-ring #4 and backup ring #5 would sit? .

  5. #5nathan8122025-03-18 14:22

    This is where hiring it done doesn't help me. I have no clue what that looks like. I just didn't know if there was a valve somewhere that was sending more pressure than what it could handle. The place that repacked it, has a warranty for 2 years. Just a pain to have to take it apart and haul it in there than pick it up and redo it all for it to last 2 hours.

  6. #6HarleyHappy2025-03-18 20:13

    What? Where exactly is it leaking? At the base of the cylinder? You say it’s not leaking by the rod, where in the Hell is it leaking then. Pictures please.

  7. #7nathan8122025-03-19 08:46

    The end cap that has the rod running through the center of it, it is leaking from outside edge, looks like seals 4-6 in picture above.

  8. #8HarleyHappy2025-03-19 08:51

    I am not familiar with your type of gland nut. It may be that you will have to buy a new gland, possibly the barrel, if it is bad. There is no magic in rebuilding a cylinder, sometimes people make mistakes but if this is a reoccurring incident then you should find a different rebuilder.

  9. #9nathan8122025-03-19 14:25

    I did, this was the first one with new builder. That is what made me wonder about something else being wrong with the system.

  10. #10Vetech632025-03-19 17:07

    Is the rebuilder using the OEM seal kit or just will-fitting the seals? The only way that leaks around the gland is improper assembly, damaged barrel or gland, or seals that don't fit.

  11. #11nathan8122025-03-21 09:45

    Sounds like I will just be taking it back to him to have him rebuild it under warranty. If leaks again will have to buy some replacement parts. I have looked at just buying the whole new cylinder but wanted to make sure I didn't have a valve or something sending too much pressure to blow the new cylinder.

  12. #12HarleyHappy2025-03-22 07:53

    No, nothing should spike any pressure, more than what the pressure relief valve is set for.