Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310 steering problem

daverd4 ยท 2012-06-15 10:33

I have a JD straight 310 about 1975 model that I bought last year. It spent the winter in a repair shop get things fix including the steering. When I test drove it to buy it the steering was fine when I went to get it with my lowboy the steering would come and go. The repair shop thought it was air get in the hydrulic oil it worked fine when I picked it up there. Yesterday I went to put it in my shop to grease it and the steering quit working agian. Anyone had that problem with one of these early 310's they have kind of a strange steering system Thanks David

Replies32
  1. #1outbackrider2012-06-16 00:13

    I have a 310 also...make sure the fluid level is topped off...I just got mine late spring and it lost power steering....I added fluid and she worked great....hope it is that easy. Also don't know if I can point you in this direction, but due to the age of the machine I have found ytmag dot com to also be a helpful sight for these old machines.

  2. #2sbarrett2012-06-16 07:38

    i have a 310a that have owned for about a year now,been learning as i go,but not an expert,first of all,do all the other functions work properly,if they do,than oil supply or pressure, are most likely not the problem,because the steering function,gets priority before anything else.if you have problems with other functions not working,i would have to check pressures at the main pump,at the front of the engine.

  3. #3leisureexpress2012-06-16 10:06

    Yep, low oil level caused the same steering troubles for me. Add oil and it worked fine. Low oil also starved the reverser and it would just stop going forward when pointed up hill. As above, check it first and go from there.

  4. #4chroniekon2012-06-16 13:43

    I have the same machine (1974) There is a valve, I think it's called a priority valve, that directs pressure where and when it's needed. If you're using the hoe, pressure goes there. If you're using the loader and steering, it goes there. Perhaps something is going on with this valve.

  5. #5daverd42012-06-17 18:32

    Thanks for the replys everyone been out of town over the weekend. All the other functions work and just changed all the filters and oil. That priority valve may be the problen anybody tell me how to check it. That would explain why the steering comes and goes. Could another valve be bypassing somehow and make the priority valve miss direct the fluid?

  6. #6sbarrett2012-06-19 12:18

    i really dont think that valve is the problem,because the oil supply for the steering is first in line right out of the pump.my 310a has a line that comes out of the main pump,tees off and one line goes to the accumulator and then feeds the steering and priority valve.i suppose if the valve was stuck internally,or if it had a broken spring,then it might cause a problem,but then i would think the loader and backoe would not work.there,s not much to the valve,it,s harder to get off then it is to work on.you have to remove it then put it in a vise and disassemble it.there are specifications in the book for spring length and pressures.you could also try to block off the line to the priority valve and see if the steering works.

  7. #7daverd42012-06-20 10:03

    Thanks I'll try that at this point I'll try anything. To the guys that fixed the problem by adding oil did you over fill it mine is right on the full line.

  8. #8leisureexpress2012-06-20 14:20

    In my case, just to full. It was about 2.5 - 3 gallons low.

  9. #9outbackrider2012-06-20 16:10

    Actually I added about a 3/4 of a gallon....but, I have one problem...my transmission dipstick appears that it was once broken and then welded by the previous owner... so I'm not exactly sure that the full mark is at the correct spot...Perhaps one of you could measure and help me out in this.... Who knows, some one may have replaced yours with a replacement that is not the right part...I have seen this plenty of times before....you may think your right at full, and be low. Also, look at this other website... yesterday's tractor at ytmag.com search under John Deere 310 Backhoe Steering...some real good posts over there on the vintage 310 and 410 backhoe models, some expert mechanics have answered some good questions...

  10. #10daverd42012-06-20 21:36

    WOW glad you replyed thanks my dip stick is all chewed up that could be it at least worth checking looks like it got into a gear at one point

  11. #11outbackrider2012-06-21 04:33

    I came across this, perhaps it may help you also. This is the early 410 with the same drag link steering.... Problem: Hi: I'm having a problem with the power steering on my 74 410 backhoe, there is no power steering at all. It is the type that has the drag links, no hyd cylinders.. Mechanic: Re: John deere 410 backhoe steering problem How did the problem first appear ?? Just stopped steering one day? There was a check valve of some sort at the fitting at the steering valve where the pressure line enters it. Maybe disassemble that and check for a blockage.. If it was something major that broke I would think it would be visible when you disassembled it. Does the steering wheel turn the wheels at all or you just don't have the power assist? The turning of the wheel positions the valves inside the column to route pressure oil to either the top of the piston or the bottom of the piston in the lower portion of the valve. It has a mechanical link from the wheel to the drag link, so If the wheel just turns freely, theres something broken.According to serial number of the machine, there may be a check valve thats part of the elbow fitting at the base of the valve. That may be blocked or somehow damaged internally and blocking oil. When you turn the steering wheel it activates the valves that are mounted on the shaft just under the steering wheel . Youre also, at the same time screwing that shaft into or out of the piston assembly at the bottom.. The valves on the upper portion send hydraulic pressure to either the top of or to the bottom of that piston on the lower portion depending on if the wheels turned left or right.. This makes the piston assist in the up and down movement of the steering linkage that eventually turns into forward and aft movement of the drag link. Resulting fix: OK! So the problem was that the spring in the check valve disapeared causing the ball and seat to close off the hydraulic fluid passages,causing no power steering.Easy fix if you know that there is one there!!

  12. #12daverd42012-06-21 08:27

    Thanks thats a good place to start after adding a little bit of oil. hope to have time this weekend to work on it. Thanks David

  13. #13chroniekon2012-06-24 17:36

    I have the tech manual for that backhoe and may be able to send you select pages of info if that would be useful.

  14. #14daverd42012-06-25 17:38

    Thanks I bought the tech manual after I bought the Backhoe. The steering started working again so I think I'll check the pressures and the check valve in the dash colum part I think thats where I'll find the problem. If it would stay broke it would be a lot simpler if I don't find the problem it will quit as soon as I haul it 60 mile up to my cabin.

  15. #15daverd42012-07-02 10:17

    Well we found the problem it was in the steering colum the shim packs were coming apart and hanging up the valves in there. So glad to find it after about 9 months looking. Not a cheap fix parts ran $712.00 hope this will help anyone that has the same problem with the power steering working one day and not the next.

  16. #16chroniekon2012-07-02 12:23

    Thanks for the follow up

  17. #17Vern B2012-07-26 00:37

    Dave I saw your thread from 2010 regarding the steering box issue with your AW grader. I am having the same issue and either need a new box, or rebuild mine. I'm new to this site and not sure how to message you. Not sure if I have to wait a certain length of time before I can message?? Just wondering what you ended up doing to repair/replace your steering box?

  18. #18Pam2012-08-13 20:53

    I am wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find parts for a JD 310 Backhoe in Canada or a company that ships to Canada? I am looking for 1975 power steering housing. Thank you in advance for you help.

  19. #19outbackrider2012-08-13 21:03

    Here in the states, there is a national search database that the salvage dealers use. This is not JD dealers, this is general heavy equipment salvage dealers.... I would expect the same up north, complete a search on JD salvage dealers in your area look up your part numbers on JDpartsdotcom and casting number off your unit and call them. I had a search completed for a swing frame, located one out west. I'm assuming you need the cast steering housing. Also, cross reference the part to other JD tractors....I did a quick search, having a later model 310 the cast steering housing part number looks like it is AT41310 this cross references to being used on the following JD tractors: 300B, 301A, 401B, 401C, 302, 302A. Just make sure you double check all of this....If you can confirm it was used on these, this will help broaden your search, perhaps maybe even into the agricultural tractors....Hope you find it...

  20. #20Deon2012-08-13 21:41

    Try NB Stock 1-800-561-8722. They are in NB. I have never purchased anything there but my Deere dealer told be they part out Deere tractors for parts.

  21. #21Pam2012-08-13 22:21

    Thank you outbackrider and Deon. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

  22. #22daverd42012-11-06 12:01

    Well thought I had the steering fixed guess not got to put it to work over the weekend and the steering stops and starts about ever minute or so.Does anyone think the Accumulator could be the problem. I was told they changed them on the next years from a vertical to horizotal type. Could air in the system be the problem where it can pass through the open system on the hoe and bucket but not the closed system on the steering? Also noticed it shifted slow from forward the reverse and back. And could someone with a straight 310 measure there hydraulic dip stick mine has been welded and not sure it's right.

  23. #23chroniekon2012-11-06 21:48

    If my memory serves me correctly, you said you had the manual. In the Power Train, Reverser section (50-20-8) it gives the procedure for adjusting the speed of the shift of the reverser. Should be between 3/4 to 1 1/4 seconds. If you don't have a manual, let me know and I'll copy and paste the information for you. I measured the hydraulic dip stick on my 1974 310. From the top of the plastic knob to the end of the stick---22 5/16 inches. The measurement from the sealing surface (gasket area) to the end of the stick is 21 1/16 inches.

  24. #24outbackrider2012-11-07 09:52

    Thanks Chroniekon. Any way you could measure from the top of the plastic knob to the full line on the stick. Also, can you measure from the full line to the add line? Thanks for your help.

  25. #25daverd42012-11-07 10:49

    Thanks Chroniekon Yes I have the manual and I should have looked there first. Mine has a good 3 second delay. Been so spun out about the steering problem after spending so much time and money to rebuild everything with no success at all. Thanks for the mesurments that is a big help my dipstick has been chewed on by something and welded and is in pretty bad shape. Called around to find a new or used one with no luck. Thanks for the help

  26. #26chroniekon2012-11-07 14:02

    From the top of the plastic knob to the full line---21 3/8 inches From the full line to the add line---1/2 inch Most interest I've had in my dipstick in a while!

  27. #27outbackrider2012-11-08 09:26

    Thanks for the info.

  28. #28daverd42012-11-23 18:06

    Well I got the steering problem fixed this time I bypassed the Accumulator and the problem with the steering quit. Drove it around for an 1/2 hour and the power steering never quit working. So can anyone tell me if the acummulator not hooked up is going to be a problem sure don't seem like it the bucket and hoe and steering all work fine.

  29. #29Deon2012-11-23 18:31

    That's amazing that bypassing the accumulator solved your steering problem. The accumulator is to soften the F/R shift action, so I thought. How does it shift when your changing direction? Are the shifts abrupt?

  30. #30outbackrider2012-11-23 19:38

    On my 310 I planned on getting the accumulator recharged, but I posted on yesterday's tractors....ytmag.com And they basically said I didn't need it...you can search the ytmag.com site John deere backhoe 310 accumulator...see what you think.

  31. #31daverd42012-11-23 19:54

    I think the accumulator was accumulating air in the system and when it went into the steering it messed it up for a period till it worked it's way out. It had a bad lag in the F/R shifting about 3 sec. lag. Adjusted the screw to fix that and its about 1/2 second lag it's not bad going to reverse but a little sharp going forword. So I guess I need to replace the accumulator to fix it right? I have spent way to much rebuilding this hoe front to back about 5k so far but where do you quiet.

  32. #32trevor b2012-11-24 02:59

    pam where are you located? the reason i ask is i live 20 klm's from the border and get my parts shipped to ups store and give them $5.00 to receve the package bring it back over the border and pay tax's way cheeper than shipping to canada trevor b