Hey Guys, I'm looking at buying a 580B Construction King that's for sale not too far from me. I don't know a lot about these, and don't use heavy equipment much. I'm looking at this for some farm-type use, pushing some smaller trees, doing a little ditch digging, digging some footings, installing some culverts, some drive maintenance, digging a half mile of utility trenches, etc. I'm not sure what the year is. The owner says that it runs great, no blowby, smoke, etc, says the pump is strong and it's a power shuttle. The right steering hydro cylinder has a leak, and some small leaks on some of the other hydro cylinders. The swing cylinders were rebuilt a few years ago by the previous owner (this guy had it a year). Also could use a set of brakes. He's asking $6500, what are your thoughts? I haven't really seen any 580C's that are in my price range. Here are a few pics: http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n589/patriot_ram/Case 580B CK/case1.jpg http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n589/patriot_ram/Case 580B CK/case2.jpg http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n589/patriot_ram/Case 580B CK/case3.jpg http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n589/patriot_ram/Case 580B CK/case4.jpg
Hey Patriot_Ram, I bought my Case 580 CK a few months ago and have been using it to clear a lot for our house, doing ground work, driveway, put in a culvert, pulled a few stumps. Pushing over big pines and hauling logs with it today. Mines a 1974, but from the pics, it looks about the same as the one your interested in. I got mine for $5,500, but that was a pretty good deal. Ive had to repack 2 cylinders, and replace a few hoses so far. Its a good machine tho, shes a bull as long as its dry. Get in any kind of mud and she just sits there and spins. My suggestion is, unless your located in the desert and arent expecting any rain, get a set of chains. Weve been held up alot this spring because of the rain. But id go with a Case 580 for sure. The 530's dont have any power, and if your wanting to dig with it, the 580 is the king Good luck!!
I bought one that looks about the same condition. It has a windshield and extendahoe. Ive got 6700 in it delivered and it had to be moved 175 mile. Hovis
So do you guys think this is a decent buy overall, or do you think it's a little high? Most of the machines I've seen in this range have needed quite a few repairs, but I'm still not sure. Thanks for the input!
Her'n a pretty thing. From where I am today I wish I could've purchased the machine your looking at. But that's not to say that you won't run into some problems also. If the hour meters on the machine are right, your OK. Does the meter work? Does the engine start up easily, clatter excessively, smoke too much, smoke under a strain? Can you perform a compression test? Does the govenor work? Will the tractor lift itself at idle? Are the fluids clear? Have the filters been changed? Tires look good and paint is good as it's going to be with the age. I'd offer $5500. Best of luck! Packratc
please explain " set of chains".Never heard of chains apart from lifting something, thanks
You can wrap chains around tires to give better traction in snow or mud. I recently paid 4500 for my 580B, but my machine is quite a bit rougher judging from the photos. That being said, photos really aren't worth much. Check the machine out thoroughly, and get a mechanic (preferably heavy equipment mechanic) to go with you. It may cost you $50, but could save you a lot of headaches. Just from the pictures you posted I find it odd the person didn't lift the machine with the hoe instead of just the stabilizers. Just remember a nice paint job doesn't mean anything. Also there are some problems you can't predict. My machine runs well and I checked it thoroughly before buying, but when I got it home and changed the oil I found a cam bearing. Now I have to split the tractor (see my thread ). With equipment this old you need to realize that it will frequently need work and money. If you can't do the work yourself, it will get very expensive very fast.
I know chains can be fitted to cars and vans tyres in thick snow but I have never, ever heard of chains being used on construction equipment to improve traction.
Its not common, I think its mainly for when you can't afford new rubber. I think its most common on old payloaders.
they commonly fit special chains to big shovels in quarries etc to protect the tyres from cuts but as I said before, I have never seen chains fitted to a 180 loader/hoe
I paid 2,000 for mine. It was not moving, and the owner did not know about the power shuttle. Put some hydralic fluid in it and it runs great. Mine looks a little rougher than the one pictured. I don,t know that i would have paid 6,500 if it was running. I think the machine is too old to be worth that much. If i was going to try to sell it, i think probably 4,000 would be a reasonable price. I might start at 5,000 and go from there. But i think that might be a little much to count on. I would offer the guy 4,000 and see. Maybe even dare to offer 3,500 and hope to end up at 4,000 or 4,500. Point out that the machine is old even if it is in good condition. Maintenance on these is expensive and they require periodic maintenance. Hoses break, brakes fail, worn tires blow out. Last tire i bought cost me 480 and that was a good deal for a new tire. Things can go wrong with the hydralics. Transmission problems can spring up at anytime. Not to try to discourage you from buying it, just a lot of things to consider. Personally if i couldn't talk the guy down to 5,000 at least i think i would spend the money on something a little newer. My cousin paid 6,500 for his 580E 20 years ago. So you decide. I hope this information helps. Keep us posted. :drinkup
I've been watching prices on the 580 series and JD 555 series both locally, in local auctions, and on Craigslist, and it seems like equipment in this area is going higher than most other areas. Every machine I've looked at for sale under $12k in this area has sold quickly. Building and construction hasn't slowed down here much in the past few years, so there's also a demand issue. I was also looking at a 580C that the guy was asking $9k, but it had quite a few more leaks that were bad enough they needed to be addressed. It also needed three tires and brakes. The guy said it had set without being started for four years which I also wasn't crazy about. Anyway, I ended up working out a deal on this tractor and am looking forward to picking it up Thursday as long as everything is what he advertised! I'll let you guys know how it goes. For now, I have to work on getting this new B&W hitch in my truck so I can go pick it up. Thanks for the advice! Patriot_RAM
chains are a common thing around here for tractor and skidder tires, or anything else not being driven on pavement
Just new to the forum. Buying a 580 d this week in Ontario. Any concerns I should know about with this machine? It doesn't blow black from the exhaust. It has a blown seal in the boom lock valve which is leaking and I am told this valve can be eliminated and the seller is eliminating it as per case delealer ship suggestion. Any thoughts ? cheers bing
Uhm . Chains ? I in my entire life have never seen chains on a backhoe .Would you not just use the back hoe end to get yourself out of a stuck situation . I live in a northern part of our country were ice and snow has always been an issue , but no chains used on a backhoe even in snow removal . I think in an event of a new hoe operator a experienced backhoe operator can teach you more in one hour than you can possibly imagine There are a lot tricks in running one of these machines
Hi Mate, I bought a late 60's early 70s? 580 CK for the same reasons. It has been great, cleaned out sptic tank, built a small super cross track, pulled trees out etc. I too had never used a back hoe, I had found the back hoe attac ment has come in really handy. Only thing I have noted with these is prior to buying, start it up and see how long it takes to be able to move. E.G if it is cold and won't move untill it has been running for 10 minutes it may be a sign that the clutches are wearing out.
I just bought a 67 580 CK non power shuttle for $6200 tho the motor has had some work rebuilt injector pump and the head was rebuilt. I love it best money I've spent in a long time. She needs some work, few hoses and a few cylinder rebuilds. but seems strong enough. Good luck with your decision:usa
Good thread. Im going to look at a '78 580b tomorrow. The guy has a good price on it, but we might do some trading on a truck I have. The paint is trash but he said the hydraulics all hold pressure and there is only one leak in the right outrigger at the fitting.
bing what area of ottawa do you live in? i'm in kemptvillle mabey i can help you with parts or what have you . trevor b
Well, I decided to go ahead and get this hoe. For our area, it seemed to be a fair asking price. I worked out a deal to trade part of it, so I'm happy with the price in the end. I went and picked it up from 200 miles away a few days ago, and I'm getting ready to do a few repairs. Overall, the thing runs and digs, but it looks like I have the following to-do list to take care of: - One very leaky steering cylinder needs a new seal kit - One leaky outrigger cylinder needs a kit - One swivel connector on the hoe needs some attention because of a pretty decent leak. This one is around $250 from the dealer. Are there any aftermarkets available on these? - The boom drops pretty fast, so I'll rebuild those two cylinders at some point as well. - No brakes, and my land is on a hillside. Gotta address this one pretty quickly. - Hydro gauge is broken - No lights - And finally, when I shift into low range (forward), it pops back out. Low range reverse stays in most of the time. (any ideas what to check first on this one?) I know backhoes are usually heavy on the top and back, but this one seems overly back-heavy. If I'm on any a slight slope -- even a couple degrees, it's hard to keep the front wheels on the ground. If I start going up a hill any steeper than about three degrees, I have to back up it, otherwise the front wheels come up and keeeeep on coming up! Were there different counter weights available on the 580B? This is a 1974. I was excited pulling this thing home. One thing I learned quickly is these things are HEAVY. The scale weighed my truck, trailer, and the hoe in at 24,880. Thanks for the help! Patriot_RAM
if the hill is causing your front end to lift, half fill the front bucket with dirt.
That works when I'm traveling, but not when I'm working with the front bucket.
if you need dirt in the front bucket when travelling, there is something missing on your machine.I'm a JCB guy with limited knowledge of your machine. My bet is the counter weights are missing making the machine unstable.Good luck
There were two counter weights for the 580B. One was around 500 lb for the stock backhoe and around 720 lb for one with extendahoe. They mount under the front end below radiator. Mine is an extendahoe with the larger weight and it still comes up like yours. I'm looking into a way of adding weight. This was common with this hoe is my understanding. Hovis
I don't have the extend-a-hoe, so I'm guessing the weight hanging off the front of mine is the 500lb. This hoe can't be loaded forward on a deck-over gooseneck without holding a slight wheelie on the way up. I'm glad I won't be moving it much... Does anybody have a photo of a boom lock on a 580b? I can get the boom up, but there isn't a good way to lock it on the machine I have. I see these available, but can't find any good photos/drawings anywhere. http://www.ebay.com/itm/D75674-New-...ipment_Parts&hash=item35bdce96ea#ht_923wt_965
I paid $4800 for mine but not too long after the backhoe valve assembly started leaking bad. The dealer charged me 3K to source a control valve and bolt her back up. Besides that I have about $300.00 in replacement hoses. Just the other day a bucket cylinder seal went out on me so I'm trying to locate a repair seal kit and fix that. I have just over 8K in mind. She runs good but hour meter does not work at all. Lifts good and digs good. She just keeps breaking. I guess I work it too hard. mine is a 1973 shuttle hi/lo range I think.
Bing how did you make out with that 580 you were looking at ? trevor b
Those old hoes have 2 problems. Brakes and front axle.The brakes are a poor design and impossible to keep working.It was not till the E series and wet brakes that you could keep brakes. The spindles on front axle are supported by needlebearings, top and bottom.Unless lubed relgiously , they get moisture in them and fail.Poor design again.Pick up front end and shake wheels and see whatyou have.Hope this helps.