I am hoping someone here is old enough to remember a JD 310 A. I finally got things working well but I think I have to adjust the clutch. The book said to use a tachometer run it at 2500 rpms and check for 1500 psi. . There has to be an easier way. Can I measure pedal free play as in other vehicles? Thanks for your help Nick
that pressure is 150lbs. not 1500. it has to be done that way to get adequate pressure to engage the hydraulic clutch pack, the second step just gives the throwout bearing some clearance on the dry clutch.
So that is the only way? Other than having a service call what can I do without the gages, and tach?
Are you sure the linkage is'nt sticking ?? A few years ago my 410 seemed like it needed a clutch adjustment/replacement, had a few guys look at it, but nobody could say for sure.. Machine eventually would'nt move.. I decided to lay under it and trace the linkage out.. The problem was the rod underneath that runs from one side to the other was all gunked up with dust, oil, ect. And was'nt fully releasing when I let the clutch out.. Scraped it all off, PB blasted the hell outa it, worked like new again..
The linkage is clean, I turned the yoke 2.5 turns and ti is shifting better. I just dont want to burn it out. I have 2 JD manuels and each has a different way to adjust the clutch. One said to measure the pressure the other said to engage to touch the bearing then lengthen the rod 3 turns.
I now have an appropriate gage, where should I connect it? I find the manuel a bit hard to follow. Thanks Nick i
This should help.