Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Which backhoe

milkie62 ยท 2018-06-15 22:12

I have been reading and looking. I want a backhoe for landscaping work,food plot work (stump pulling), log road repair(ditching) and general non-commercial work on my property. Will also be putting in 2 leach fields for my kids on my property when they build. Been looking at JD 310,Ford 555/655,Case 580. I would prefer an open station and I am thinking 2 wd will be OK since I also have a Kubota M6800 4wd w/bucket. Also did any of these have a clutch and std transmission ? No need for speed just total reliability.

Replies11
  1. #1Finca SDR2018-06-15 23:46

    Hello, get whatever good backhoe presents itself to you that is in your price range, seems in decent shape, and has parts available locally for you. Otherwise I think theyre all great. 4wd is better than 2wd, in my opinion. If your terrain is hilly 4wd is much safer and always more efficient. Full bucket means no rear wheel drive traction, which means getting stuck all the time backing out of the dirt pile or wherever and having to dump the load. It also means no useful brakes once you start bouncing around down a hill. In my experience. Im sure you can make do with a differential lock pedal and being careful and working around it, but 4wd is really the way to go. I agree with you about the clutch and transmission, but I dunno the answer to the question. Good luck!

  2. #2Legdoc2018-06-16 23:15

    Case 580M series 1 never had a problem. Dumb simple no computers.

  3. #3Tinkerer2018-06-17 06:52

    If you do live in upstate New York you should really consider getting a machine with an enclosed cab. I have run both styles and although open station is nice in the summer, but with an enclosed cab you are protected from weather extremes and tree branches which can be deadly.

  4. #4milkie622018-06-18 07:52

    I would not be using it at all in bad weather. That is what my Kubota is for.

  5. #5terex herder2018-06-19 12:05

    My experience is only with several different models of Deere. With the Deere, I think you will take the front endbloader off your Kubota and leave it off. The integrated front buckets on a TLB are constructed to a much higher standard than an add-on loader to a small farm tractor. As far as what to buy well used, look at a site such as TractorHouse or machinery trader and see what models are most popular within driving distance. It doesn't matter if it's a popular machine in Texas, you need local Parts, local salvage yards, and local repair knowledge.

  6. #6milkie622018-06-22 00:02

    This would be all I needed for a TLB. Gas engine is ideal. Machine seems clean but a tad high in price. Anyone ever have experience with one of these ? And what about hoe rear pivot repair, pins and bushings ?

  7. #7showrguy2018-06-22 09:48

    After having my own machine for almost 20 years, there's no way I would want one without ROPS and a cab.. Think, rain, snow, tree limb, ect.. Just my .02 cents

  8. #8milkie622018-06-22 15:03

    Well it would live the same life as my open farm tractors. A ROPS would be OK though.

  9. #9Dan580Ks2023-07-25 02:51

    I took my door off the erops because it hurt my shoulder to close it. I am in and out a lot and love having no door. Do miss it in the winter, but get by. Gotta get my three replies

  10. #10HarleyHappy2023-07-25 09:46

    oops

  11. #11Chuckles2023-08-29 14:00

    I like 4wd and a extend a hoe ,keeps from moving the machine. All this depends on your budget of course. A shuttle shift drive is also a handy option.