Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310A Dry clutch issue

Bucksaw ยท 2016-03-15 20:36

Clutch pedal will push in to floor but the spring will not return it. I have to pull it back by hand and it is hard coming back. I noticed the vertical linkage rod from pedal is bent and no longer straight. Linkage pins are seized in and I am currently working at getting them off the straighten the rod. I have been starting in neutral and selecting a gear on low idle with no grinding. Could the clutch disc/plate be seized to cause this?

Replies10
  1. #1Bucksaw2016-03-15 20:40

    Vertical rod #7 is the one that is bent

  2. #2lantraxco2016-03-15 23:18

    I think the seized pins are your issue, and if they're seized it's because nobody used that clutch for twenty years so they rusted up solid. On a straight pull there's no way for a link rod to get bent except the torque from a locked up pin on one end or the other.

  3. #3Bucksaw2016-03-16 07:35

    That would be a easy fix, but I have my doubts. It looks like the pins are seized in the bell crank (#11) and the pedal and the yokes (#9) are free.

  4. #4Bucksaw2016-03-18 14:12

    The cross shaft ( #12) that goes to the reverser is seized and seems to be the issue. I think....

  5. #5lantraxco2016-03-18 15:13

    That would do it. Try some Kroil spray if you can find it local, then if that helps follow up with some penetrating oil that has graphite in it, I buy mine from CAT.

  6. #6Bucksaw2016-03-18 17:31

    I will see if I can find some here in the Great White North and give it a try.

  7. #7Bucksaw2016-03-19 16:05

    Shaft #12 appears to be seized in the hole it passes through in the transmission case. I soaked it in penetrating oil and 50/50 ATF/Acetone and can hardly make it move with a pipe wrench on the bell crank. The online JD parts diagrams do not show how the shaft is attached to the reverser. There is a pin in the shaft at the reverser that I THINK may fit in a slot in the reverser that it meshes with. Does anyone have a Tech manual that outlines how this shaft is removed or experience having removed one? I can only guess that I may be able to try and drive it out of the transmission casting away from the reverser at the bell crank??

  8. #8crpohio2016-03-20 13:02

    There is a pin on the shaft near the reverser and another in the other side with the clutch linkage. The pin holds the cast arm onto the shaft. I just removed the roll pin out of mine. Took heat and a good fitting punch. The pin at the reverser side was seized badly. I need to drill that one out, I'm afraid if I put too much force on the shaft going into the reverser clutch control it might damage it.

  9. #9Bucksaw2016-03-20 14:17

    Just finished getting it broke free. What a job. When in doubt get a bigger hammer. It took a lot of heat, hammering and then more heat but I FINALLY have it moving the full range of motion. If John Deere had a grease fitting here this would never seize. crpohio: Are you going to install a grease fitting in the casting since you have it out?

  10. #10crpohio2016-03-20 14:22

    Hmmmm. Not sure. I never considered it. Mine turned freely when I removed it. It didn't seem to fit that tight. I might just slap some grease on it and go with it. If it gets moved, even a little bit once in a while it shouldn't freeze up. Maybe once all of my leaks are repaired and that area stays dry, I might regret this decision.