Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310A no forward but reverse?

Bucksaw ยท 2014-10-29 15:41

Changed the engine oil about three weeks ago and parked it. Fired it up today and it will only reverse not forward? Hyd oil and filters are new also. Lower fall temperature is the only difference, and even at that it is not cold yet. Any ideas/help greatly appreciated.

Replies21
  1. #1sbarrett2014-10-29 17:24

    my 310a does the same thing,if i let it sit and warm up about ten minutes,then sit there for about another five minutes in forward, it will finally engage,then i,m good to go,no slipping or anything.been that way foe two years,go figure

  2. #2rutwad2014-10-29 18:57

    My friend just told me his 310E got a hole in tranny filter and ran low. He said it has reverse, but no forward.

  3. #3hoosier122014-10-29 19:08

    Sounds like the reverser needs to be rebuilt. I had a JD 300b that had the same problem. I had to split the tractor and replace all the seals in the reverser. Parts are cheap, but labor is intensive.

  4. #4Bucksaw2014-10-29 21:04

    Well if I have to split it then I will, but anything else to check first? Reverser adjustment, linkage adjustment?

  5. #5hoosier122014-10-29 22:34

    Check the linkage behind the reverser lever. It can be loose or disconnected. Also, check the pressure of the reverser below. If you have a manual for the 310A, it will show where to connect and what the pressure should be.

  6. #6Bucksaw2014-10-30 10:50

    Linkage all in place and the movement range seems to engage forward neutral and reverse on the reverser. I can feel it engage in forward but it will not move. I don't have a manual....yet. Thanks for the help so far.

  7. #7Bucksaw2014-10-31 07:13

    I think that it being colder out now has something to do with the issue. Could this be since the reverser unit is hydraulic?

  8. #8rutwad2014-10-31 07:44

    I can't say for certain but on my friends 310E with the hydraulic pump barely working, it worked better when cold. The hydraulic oil would be thicker.

  9. #9hoosier122014-10-31 09:33

    I don't think the cold weather effects the operation of the hydraulics. Really the first thing to do is to check the hydraulic pressure, it should read something like 30psi. If it's showing 8-9 psi (like mine) it's bad O-rings in the reverser. One other thing to try, put your stabilizer arms down and lift the unit with the back wheels off the ground. Run it in forward and reverse and see if you can stop the wheels. If so, the reverser is loosing it's pressure through the internal seals. I rebuilt mine with the help of a hydraulic mechanic and it operates in all gears with no problems now.

  10. #10Bucksaw2014-10-31 13:10

    I'll give it a try... Thanks

  11. #11Bucksaw2014-10-31 14:17

    I could stop the wheels with brakes but not by hand. They turned intermittently. Reverse worked all the time but forward was off and on.

  12. #12hoosier122014-10-31 15:09

    That's good...it may just need the hydraulic fluid drained and clean screen filter 2-3 times. Also, I would look at that adjustment for the reverser again. It can increase the shifting speed that may fix it.

  13. #13Bucksaw2014-10-31 17:13

    THAT would be fantastic. I did change both filters and changed the HD oil BUT I did not pull the screen.

  14. #14Bucksaw2014-10-31 17:16

    Does the horizontal filter housing need to come off to get the screen out? It seems like it would be too long to get it out with only removing the short hose?

  15. #15hoosier122014-10-31 19:04

    On the JD 300b, the hose is below the right foot rest plate. The screen is about 2-3 inches and tucked inside the port. Plenty of space to remove it.

  16. #16Bucksaw2014-10-31 20:19

    Ok...I'll get the short hose off and check that screen. Thanks Hoosier12. I bought the backhoe from a guy in Indiana and now I'm getting help....from Indiana. Thanks again.

  17. #17Bucksaw2014-11-01 07:55

    This thread shows the screen being 11" long? Are you referring to a different screen? HeavyEquipmentForums

  18. #18hoosier122014-11-01 20:15

    I only had to remove the hose on my 300b, not sure on the 310a.

  19. #19Bucksaw2014-11-02 15:24

    Fixed it. I pulled back on the clutch pedal and found that it wasn't rebounding all the way. That's when I noticed the tires turning ( I had the stabilizers down and the rear tires off the ground. Pulled up the battery access floor plate and noticed the various clutch linkage points were very rusted. Spayed with rust check and liquid grease and worked the clutch pedal a bunch of times until it rebounded all the way. That's all it was. Works like a charm. Thanks to all for your help.

  20. #20hoosier122014-11-02 18:50

    Your 310a uses the same screen as my 300b, I didn't have any problem pulling it after disconnecting the hose. Here's a John Deere parts web site that shows exploded views: http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

  21. #21Bucksaw2014-11-02 19:52

    Thanks. Good to know. I will change it when it warms up again.