Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310a rear bucket lube NEED HELP!

Mark Grant ยท 2011-06-20 16:41

Hello everyone. We have a JD 310a. It's our first backhoe and we've had it for a few months. I can't figure out how to lube the pins that the rear bucket pivots on. There only seems to be one lube point and it's located on the ram. The rest of the pins don't seem to have any. It has developed a horrible screeching/moaning noises while operating. Any hope would we welcome. Thank you.

Replies9
  1. #1Mark Grant2011-06-20 18:05

    Come on! Nobody can help me out in here!

  2. #2willie592011-06-20 20:15

    I viewed the online parts pages and it shows a grease fitting on the end of the dipperstick to lube bucket pivot pin. Are you sure yours isn't broken off?

  3. #3Deon2011-06-20 22:24

    The linkage on the backhoe bucket on those older JD hoes did not have grease fittings but the end of the rod and the end of the dipper has a fittings. Best thing to do is remove the fitting and replace with new if you can't get grease in it. You should be able to get the grease to squish out both sides if the fitting is good. Also it is possible that your screech is coming from the cylinder rod seals. I had that happen to my 1981 JD 410 right loader arm cylinder. It was sliding hard enough that I could see the loader arms tilt to one side. You would not notice that on the hoe as there is only one cylinder. You can test that by pulling the pin at the end of the cylinder and working the cylinder only. Good luck.

  4. #4Mark Grant2011-06-20 23:52

    thank you guys... There is only one place that I can grease. I will pull the pin and check the cylinder seal for noise. Thanks for the advice. If there aren't any places to lube on the pins can I buy new ones that are greasable? We are going to have this thing for a loeng time and I'd like to fix 'er up.

  5. #5Deere John2011-06-21 06:50

    Check again on the bottom of the dipperstick. The fitting may be in a recessed hole. If the hole is filled with mud, it will look as though there is no fitting. My 310C is built this way.

  6. #6Deon2011-06-21 21:18

    This photo is from the JD website parts catalogue. There is a grease fitting in the end of the dipper stick. It's # 7.Take you knife and dig out the dirt from the bushing casing. With the hoe stored as when you are ready to drive down the road, it should be towards the rear of the dipper end. Mine had one, yours should also have one.

  7. #7Mark Grant2011-06-21 21:32

    Ohh man, that's great info there Deon! I'll check tomorrow and dig around a bit. I just had to clean out the pressure switch for my well pump and my a** is kicked. It's been 101 here in North California today and I just laid 1000 sq ft of sod a week ago. Not exactly the ideal time to loose water! haha Ohh well, when it rains it pours!

  8. #8Mark Grant2011-06-21 21:49

    Thanks buddy! Hopefully I can return the favor someday. :beer:

  9. #9Mark Grant2011-06-30 22:37

    Just wanted to thank all of you guys again. We ended up *surprise* finding the plugged with mud hole and greasing the holy heck out of that pin. Sound almost immediately disappeared. By the next day and another greasing later it was gone. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out. :notworthy