I have a 1985 model JD 310B Backhoe that sat up for 3 years while I was sick. Now that i am over 65 and feeling better I am trying to get her back to life. I had to replace all fluids and bleed the fuel line and replace the starter and battery and finally got it to crank up today. It ran a little rough but it was nice to get it turning over. The off switch would not kill the engine but I got lucky and it finally died on its own. The throttle would not work so I assume all of this is related to the injector pump. I have no hydraulics at all so I am assuming that my hydraulic pump is stuck in some unknown position. As you can probably tell I have very little mechanic experience especially on a diesel tractor. I have managed to buy a Parts Manual but do not have a Service Manual. Any advice to test or things to try to revive this beast is much appreciated.
There is a link to the Tech Manual in this thread... HeavyEquipmentForums That would be a digital copy in pdf format... hopefully I put in the link correctly.
Thanks so much for the link. Thanks so much for the link.
Send that thanks to Shawn up North..... ...and good luck with your issues...
Why did you have to replace the fluids? Were they full until you drained them, especially the hydraulic fluid. It sounds like either the injection pump is stuck or else it's not getting enough fuel. Could it have been running slower than normal idle? I wouldn't worry too much about the hydraulics until it's running right, assuming there's hydraulic oil in it, and it wasn't drained for long. First, make sure the governor/"throttle" shaft on the injection pump is turning, not just the bracket. You could take the cover off and clean things out, but I'd get a gallon of biodiesel, add 10% acetone and run it on that in a temporary tank until the injection pump works loose. Tap the injection pump with a screwdriver handle while running. Figure out a backup way to shut the engine off, either turn off the fuel or close the air supply.