Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Question on Case 580B noise under foot

Seaweaver ยท 2015-10-20 17:16

Hey all, just joined and glad to find people sharing their knowledge! I'm buying a case 580b from a guy I buy hay from. I've been looking at them for a while and this rig has had many things repaired over time and repinned. She is the tightest rig I've tested yet.... however... there is a not too loud buzzing noise from beneath my feet when moving, any gear, forward or reverse. I came home and found this forum w/ a thread talking about the gears in the rearend... spooky stuff for me. I can fix tons of things but messed around in the mysterious rear end of any machine.. I understand about the play in the side gear... anyhow I discovered today that i can hear this buzzing noise when out of gear and the shuttle in forward or reverse. This made me wonder if the noise is in the transaxel case as I have thought. also the oil psi is pegged when in gear, 40 when clutch depressed... faulty sender? I may be nuts for buying this... but we are buying land for a farm and the first thing I have to do is build a 1k ft road... we close next week. I appreciate any thoughts on this noise...( and oil psi) I'm going to be needing this for the next 3-4 years steady. Chris

Replies7
  1. #1Bill Smith2015-10-21 07:11

    Shes an old machine . Depends what you pay for it . You say your going to run it steady for the next 3 years . How much are you willing to pay for repairs . Unless the engine , shuttle , and rear end have been overhauled in the last few years Id walk away . This machine you have to split it in half to service the the drive components .

  2. #2Seaweaver2015-10-21 20:10

    Thanks for the reply Bill. The engine has 4-5 hundred on a rebuild... $8k is the average here. I have some experience in manipulating large heavy things. Once broken into.. or split if needed, how hard are these repairs? Specific tools? We are in deep farm country and there are heavy tractors everywhere ... there should be no shortage of "tractor" exp... I just need to ask. Its a pretty tight community. Any idea on the noise? As it happens out of gear... I was thinking it's forward of the rear gear case. cw

  3. #3Dirtdauber2015-10-22 01:18

    As I understand this, the shuttle has to be in either forward or reverse, so I would be looking at everything that's turning then, such as a bearing on the output of the shuttle or the input shaft of the transmission.

  4. #4melben2015-10-22 10:10

    I'm wondering if he is hearing the traditional chatter of the cooling lines that run to the front filter and cooler, on some machines they made a significant humming or chattering noise and it depended if the shuttle was in gear whether the the 4 speed was in neutral or not. This chatter would go away if the pedal for the clutch valve was pressed or change sounds. Just a thought, the gears should not be moving behind the PS with the 4 speed in gear but the PS in neutral.

  5. #5Dirtdauber2015-10-22 13:24

    Good possibility, I remember hearing the metal lines buzzing against the frame at a certain RPM, before replacing all the hard line isolators under my machine. That was easy for me to identify though, and I never even considered it being anything else. I think I would get under it with some sort of listening device and see if I could narrow it down. Nothing beats that. Have someone operating the machine that you would trust with your life because that is what you will be doing.

  6. #6Seaweaver2015-10-22 16:59

    "Have someone operating the machine that you would trust with your life because that is what you will be doing. " hehehe... yea! I had not thought of lines vibrating... I'm still trying to grasp how all this works... I understand clutches and gears... but not at all sharp on PS... I always thought it was a neat way to bypass using a clutch for simple forward reverse... which I guess it is... but i know nothing of how. If indeed cooling lines (for oil?) hammering /vibrating... might this have something to do with the pegged oil psi gauge? and the drop to 40-45 w/ the clutch depressed?... or is the vibration a standard thing and not exacerbated by a closed strainer or filter of some sort? Learning w/ the machine is hand will be much easier than staring at the pdf manual... The further I can get away from hard internals the better! I will not mind getting in there at some point... just not till I find a local guru that can take me under his wing. Thanks again guys, I'll be taking delivery in about ten days. cw

  7. #7melben2015-10-22 18:51

    If it does it not moving that eliminates anything but the shuttle/ pump, and everything behind the power shuttle, when the noise is present take hold of the pipes that go out and up under the hood on the LH side to see if you can feel any vibration in those pipes. Pegging the gage is significant if the gage is right, there is a relief in the control block where the clutch and directional spools are located which control system pressure. I believe you are seeing converter charge pressure with the clutch pedal down, that sounds about right for conv pressure. there is also a cold oil relief located on the pump body but it is set above system pressure. Sorry about the edits but things just keep coming to mind, If the gage is graduated in PSI what is the top reading on the gage, IIRC the OEM gages were just color coded red yellow and green. Mel