Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310B hydraulic Res. where is it?

machineman ยท 2007-06-14 18:59

Anyone know where the hydraulic reservoir is on a early 80's JD 310B backhoe? Also what fluid, 10wt? Thanks..

Replies12
  1. #1Geno7952007-06-28 22:26

    I believe the reservoir is the rear end / transmission case on those old babies. There is a dipstick for it down by your feet somewhere. Dealer can get you an operators manual for it - which would show where to check oil. Should take universal hy-gard type trans/hyd combination oil.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2007-06-28 22:38

    The dipstick is on the floor near where the seat swivels, this is also where you fill the reservoir.

  3. #3Mrkemp2007-06-28 23:56

    How to check hydraulic fluid on Case 580 D? I know I'm asking a new questions in someone else's thread, but the forum won't allow me to post a new thread for some reason. Anyway, I just bought a 580 D. I believe I found the dipstick for hydraulic fluid in the engine compartment. It goes to what I believe is the reservoir, a big square thing between the engine and the short driveshaft that goes to the transmission. My question: do I test it while running or while stopped? Hot or cold?

  4. #4Countryboy2007-06-29 00:13

    Welcome to HEF Mrkemp! :drinkup You need to make 5 posts before you can start a new thread. :thumbsup

  5. #5Mrkemp2007-06-30 10:45

    Thanks Countryboy I may not be sure how to check my hydraulic fluid (I now found the correct place), but at least I know why I can't post new questions. This is an awesome forum and a much needed service and I don't want to start by badmounthing them, but the 5 reply rule to post seems a little silly. Idiots like myself join because we have questions. Hopefully one day I'll know something that can help somebody else, but the only advice I could give today is bad advice. I'm having a blast with my 580D but I lost some fluid. I took a branch off a walnut tree with the boom and damaged an end of the hydraulic line for the bucket. (see why I shouldn't be giving advice).

  6. #6Countryboy2007-07-01 20:20

    The 5 post "Rule" is not in place to make it difficult for the new member to post. It is there to limit the amount of spam posted on the board. It also encourages new members to participate and interact with the other members which makes this board what it is, a great place to learn, share and make friends. The answers to those questions are only here because people post those answers. It would make it harder to find answers if the board is cluttered with spam posts. I would be hard pressed to think that you could not find 5 things that interest you, that you would like to make 5 replies too. It is not my intent here to debate the necessity of this rule but rather better explain its purpose so that you will understand its necessity. :thumbsup

  7. #7digger242j2007-07-01 22:05

    I'll add a little to what CB said. You wouldn't believe the number of spambots that register at these types of forums. They'll invent a stupid username, and register at literally thousands of sites within just a few hours. Most of the time we catch them before they even get to posting, but we've seen cases where they'll post something within a few minutes. That's what led to the five post restriction. I was initially opposed to it, for the very reason that you've stated, but it didn't take long for me to be convinced that it keeps the board in better shape overall. One thing I've done myself, is that if I see a new member trying to post a thread, I create a thread for them, and they post their question in it. I won't volunteer the other moderators to do that, since we all have other obligations too, (but I suspect they would if they were asked). I can't even promise that I'm able to take the time to do it all the time, but I have done it a couple of times in just the past few weeks:

  8. #8Steve Frazier2007-07-01 23:30

    Mrkemp, I've upgraded your account so you may post away! Sorry for the inconvenience.

  9. #9Mrkemp2007-07-02 11:22

    Explanations Thanks to all for your explanations and help. I do understand the spam problem. I remember a time when I could go to usenet or newsgroups but most of those seem to have been completely run out of business because of spam.

  10. #10jdelabar2009-06-24 09:37

    I just got a Deere 310B does the hydraulic fluid ever need to be replaced or just topped off?

  11. #11jdelabar2009-06-24 09:40

    Also how often should Hydraulic filter be changed? and do you need to drain fluid to change the filter? thanks for any help

  12. #12Willis Bushogin2009-06-24 15:15

    Jd 310 Make sure you use hyd fluid recommended for machines with shuttle shift or like auto tranny. It tells you on the bucket, if its approved for transmissions. You dont need to buy JD fluids, just a good brand I just sold my 310, it had a bunch of hours and was still going strong, just keep the fluid checked Good Luck