Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310B Question

Svendrick ยท 2022-12-17 16:42

Hello, I've got a 310b, believe it's an '86. Did a bunch of stump removal with it, great machine. Won't start now, was smoking terribly when running so replaced the injectors, hoping it would fix the hard starts. It didn't. It won't even start with ether. Haven't replaced the fuel filter, doesn't look that bad and when I bought the machine a few months ago it looked like it had been serviced so I left it. I know it has a weak battery that I keep on a trickle charge, would that play a role? Has a new starter. Any ideas would be a great help. TYIA.

Replies9
  1. #1Tyler d4c2022-12-17 16:46

    Sounds like the injection pump is due for some love. The pump guy will chime in I'm sure.

  2. #2Delmer2022-12-17 19:14

    Welcome Svendrick! Heck of a first post! Yes, absolutely a weak battery will play a huge role in hard starting. Keep it in the house and bring it out when you try to start it. Use a good set of jumper cables off a running vehicle when trying. Find the block heater, or add one, plug it in for a couple hours before trying. First post so we have no idea what you know or don't know. What kind of fuel in it? winter or summer? all fresh or still the tank that came with it? Have you checked the tank drain for water? Square glass filter? have you drained that of water? What have you done since changing the injectors? have you bled the lines to the injectors? Is it pumping fuel to the injectors? What brand starter? genuine OEM or chinese?

  3. #3Tinkerer2022-12-17 19:33

    Unburned fuel smoke or engine oil smoke ???? Any smoke coming out of the crankcase vent that is connected to the valve cover when it was running?

  4. #4Svendrick2022-12-17 20:52

    Thank you, OK so it sounds like a new battery is in my future. I have some diesel experience but very rusty. I have a lot of gas motors around here, this is the first diesel I've every had. Was a diesel mechanic in the Army in the 90's, haven't touched one since so like I said, very rusty. I have bled the injectors and there is fuel getting to them. I've burned a few tanks of fuel when I was digging stumps with it over the summer and fall so it has new fuel in it. I will check the tank drain for water. It has a round fuel filter and I'll replace it now, just because. Starter I don't know, I'll look tomorrow. I didn't see any smoke from the crankcase, this motor has a vent tube correct? Think it was unburned fuel smoke, the injectors that came out were pretty soiled. Doubt they've every been replaced. It was running strong when it was running, shocked me how strong the hoe part is. Lifted a 10' long 4' wide oak stump with it with little effort. I know it's winter and cold so it will play a part with it not starting, but I was hoping to get a sputter at least. I didn't see a block heater. I will look in to adding one. Thank you.

  5. #5Svendrick2022-12-17 20:53

    Thank you, OK so it sounds like a new battery is in my future. I have some diesel experience but very rusty. I have a lot of gas motors around here, this is the first diesel I've every had. Was a diesel mechanic in the Army in the 90's, haven't touched one since so like I said, very rusty. I have bled the injectors and there is fuel getting to them. I've burned a few tanks of fuel when I was digging stumps with it over the summer and fall so it has new fuel in it. I will check the tank drain for water. It has a round fuel filter and I'll replace it now, just because. Starter I don't know, I'll look tomorrow. I didn't see any smoke from the crankcase, this motor has a vent tube correct? Think it was unburned fuel smoke, the injectors that came out were pretty soiled. Doubt they've every been replaced. It was running strong when it was running, shocked me how strong the hoe part is. Lifted a 10' long 4' wide oak stump with it with little effort. I know it's winter and cold so it will play a part with it not starting, but I was hoping to get a sputter at least. I didn't see a block heater. I will look in to adding one. Thank you.

  6. #6Delmer2022-12-17 23:57

    Does it sound like it's turning over fast enough to start? you've got everything going against you on this one so we'll try to get as much fixed as possible. If you can hook up jumper cables and post a video (youtube and link) of it cranking, then we can eliminate the starter/battery/cranking speed. Otherwise, battery cables are top suspects, summer oil, weak starter/battery. Did it start after the new injectors, or is that the current issue? does it blow any visible mist/fog out of the exhaust when you crank it? Fall fuel could be summer fuel still, winter fuel will have a higher cetane rating, that's the ability to ignite easily, which you want. If you can heat the engine and injection pump to 70, it will start much easier. A torch, heat lamps, pan of charcoal under the oil pan, torpedo and a tarp. Lots of ways to heat it up, or wait till spring if that's the easiest for you. The block heater might be a roughly 1 1/2" threaded plug on the left side of the block, if you have that plug then there's no block heater, you can try to get that loose without draining the coolant, then get the heater and drain it. Or get a tank heater that hooks up with heater hoses. If you burned a few tanks, did it burn any oil in that time? did the engine idle smooth once it started, or only after it warmed up?

  7. #7Tinkerer2022-12-18 09:08

    There is (should be) a filter in the fuel tank. It is screwed into the shut-off valve inlet. It might be worth checking. IMHO.

  8. #8Svendrick2022-12-18 17:20

    I was wondering that very thing as well Delmer, whether it's cranking fast enough. I didn't get a chance to work on it today and couldn't do anything about getting filter on a Sunday. I will try jumping it next time I start it, very surprised such a big battery for a 3 cylinder motor. Yes it blows some mist out of the exhaust and yes once it was running it ran very smooth and strong. You really had to try to stall it, even in the higher gears. The motor ran just as smooth when warm. Literally no difference. There isn't much fuel in the tank at the moment so I think I'll just drain it and peak inside. Douche it with brake clean or something after reading Tinkerer's advice. No it didn't burn any oil, the machine had a fresh oil change when I bought it and the level hasn't moved at all. Was very happy to see that fyi. The supply line coming off the fuel tank looks like an M.C. Escher drawing leading to the primer but not leaking. Tried to upload a picture of the starter but the website doesn't like it, probably too big, but there are no identifying indicators to tell whether it's cheap chinese crap or something made here. I know it's maybe a couple years old and I didn't replace it. It looks like it still just came from the store and it came with the machine. I will look for that block heater plug. I have the coolant drained already, I was trying fix a bad hydraulic leak that appeared and looks like it was coming from the pump somewhere. Was trying to raise the bucket arm for easy removal of the pump and inspection but the machine won't start lol. I also have front bucket off the machine because I just welded a new cutting edge on it. Looking forward to using when I get it running. But yeah, I know guys that basically build a fire under a machine like this. I don't want to wait till spring but if I have to...I have to. I'll try these few things when it isn't raining or snowing. Thank you again.

  9. #9Tinkerer2022-12-18 20:35

    There are ways the hoist can be raised and blocked up although the motor doesn't run.