Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310B Wiring At Alternator

Scout_1969 · 2020-01-30 07:28

Just replaced alternator and new one didn’t come with extra nut to attach small wire to ?ground? at alternator like the old one. Want to be sure it’s wired correctly and not repeat, without confirming. what is the small wire to in the picture? And should it attach to the small post on alternator? Is this post a ground?

Replies10
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-01-30 09:34

    John Deere 310B ?

  2. #2Scout_19692020-01-30 09:51

    Yes

  3. #3Scout_19692020-01-30 15:06

    This is the wiring harness near alternator, if that helps. I just want to confirm that the wires does go to what I think is a ground. It would be good to understand all the wiring attaching to the alternator if I have related problems down the road.

  4. #4Scout_19692020-02-02 06:45

    Any educated guesses would be appreciated too. I'd like to use the machine and don't want to create another probem.

  5. #5repowerguy2020-02-02 07:09

    I'm thinking that is the tachometer wire, on a machine that vintage it's likely long since broken. My 310 just has a big hole in the dash where one used to be.

  6. #6Toxic2020-02-02 07:35

    When i first got my 98 555e the tach wasnt working and battery not charging. After destroy the deep cycle battery that came with it by jumping it i had the alt bench tested and it worked fine. Turns out the previous owner didnt have the exciter wire on the right spot. He had it to a power source..i put it to a nut on alt case for ground and bam..alt is charging and tach started working..love easy fixes

  7. #7Delmer2020-02-02 09:41

    Do you still have the old alternator? and a picture of the wiring on it? if it was hooked to the case on the old alternator, then it will hook to ground on the new one, and that red circled post looks like ground from here (no plastic under that washer, just the metal hump, right?) Did you have a working tachometer with the old alternator? Then that was probably the tachometer wire, but even if it is the tach wire, it won't hurt anything to hook it to ground, your tach won't work obviously, the alternator feeds AC to the tach, so nothing will burn out with it grounded.

  8. #8sbarrett2020-02-02 11:39

    i have an 81 model 310a that has wiring that looks like yours,that particular wire on mine appears to have been cut off by the previous owner and my system still charges properly,probably a ground,the tach is cable driven off the back of the camshaft, the other black wire on mine hooks to the fuel tank sending unit which i verified in my factory service manual,but maybe the 310b could be different than mine,but it looks exactly like mine.

  9. #9LarryH2020-02-03 17:55

    Here are the relevant diagrams for your machine I believe. Looks like there is only four wires connected to the alternator and non of them are yellow. I would trace out that wire and see where it leads to. That should help you figure where it goes. My tractor had the alternator replaced with a one wire Delco. Hope this helps. Good luck.

  10. #10Scout_19692020-02-03 19:09

    Thanks for the information everyone. it looks like that wire is a ground but I will try to trace it as suggested. I printed all of the reply’s and hope to get back to the backhoe this coming weekend, yesterday just didn’t work out. I’ll post what I find.