Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310C all of a sudden won’t start. (cranks over nice and fast)

joeeye59 · 2025-09-16 13:24

Hi friends, Its been a long time since Ive been back on this forum. Any ideas on what happened, on why I parked my JD 310c Backhoe while it was running great, no problems at all...., then I went to start it a few weeks later, it cranks over nice and fast but no start. I had the injector pump rebuilt many years ago, when that went bad all it was doing was staying at idle, wasn't able to rev it up to get enough power to operate the hoe and loader. For years I often need to giggle the reverser arm to get it to turn over..., but everyone knows what that's all about lol... this is well known by all Mechanics. I don't know if there would be anything in the reverser arm that would not let it start? Oh Yeah, I just realized that as I was cranking it enough times I should have seen smoke come out the exhaust pipe, it always does that just before it starts, but there was none. My friend Delmar mentioned with the key "on" to touch and un-touch the one wire going to the injector pump, if I hear a click type sound then look for something with the fuel supply. But I don't hear anything when I do that test, so I think maybe something with the ignition switch ? I also do not get any voltage to the wire going to the injector pump with key on wire disconnected from the injector pump.

Replies5
  1. #1Diesel Dave2025-09-16 14:07

    Did you check the fuel shut off fuse ? Bottom left corner. ​

  2. #2joeeye592025-09-16 16:48

    I don't know why the fuse blew to the "Fuel Shutoff Switch", thank you for the fuse panel lid specs Diesel Dave. It must have been when I was power washing the entire outside and inside the cab, but I did not get sloppy wild with power washing all over the dashboard, but obviously something happened with power washing. I did what you mentioned Delmer, I heard nothing, then once I replaced the fuse I heard the clicking sound you mentioned to listen for from the pump. So it seems like it's all fixed, but still won't start. I believe this is because its a bit cold now in Connecticut. I always need to plug in the heater when its a bit chilly. So I'll do that and post back once the engine block feels nice and warm. Hopefully I won't need to prime anything you had mentioned Delmer.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2025-09-17 19:46

    You’ll probably need to loosen the lines AT THE INJECTORS and let the air bleed out.. Use the 2 wrench method..

  4. #4willie592025-09-17 20:44

    Yep, likely. But I would give it a go or two turning on the ignition and work that primer pump on the lift pump, she might just take off.

  5. #5joeeye592025-10-07 04:55

    Thanks everyone for helping me out on this no start. I found the fuse to the pump blown. Good thing I didn't need to prime the pump, bleed the lines, just a little bit of time with the engine block heater plugged in did the trick. The weather here in CT is getting weird with a mix of very hot and then very chilly days.