Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310c Cylinder repair

davidd ยท 2009-10-29 20:46

I have ordered a bore and rod seal kit. I have read many post and am almost ready to do my first cylinder reseal. Due to all the post I have a clear plan as how to do it. Except for one thing. The part list calls for a cap screw to hold the piston on to the rod. All post have dealt with removal of a nut rather than a screw(bolt). My experience with long standing screws is that they will wring off. Any advice as how to remove without wringing it off. Should it be heated to melt the sieze material? Peen the bolt head? Thanks, David d.

Replies1
  1. #1willie592009-10-29 21:53

    I've never had a problem with the bolt that holds the piston on these size machines. I usually use a 3/4" or 1" impact, they don't have a problem getting the bolt out. I'm not crazy about heating the chrome rod to release any LocTite.