Hi I bought a 580C, and would like to change filters oil and prep for cold weather. Waited 10 days for the service manual the owner said he had but it turned out to be a parts book. What filters and procedures to change filters is required? What oils are used in which location? Where are the dip sticks and drain plugs located? Are the CD-Rom service manuals any good that are being sold on e-bay? Steering locks up, old owner had a mechanic change the piston seals on both steering rods, still happens, was told only when you work it hard but I drove 50' and had it happen. Does the filter in the power steering pump need changing, old owner was told that the pump may need replacing. Thanks in advance Grumpy Serial # 8952760
engine oil should be 30w, shuttle is HTC (Hytrans) or 10w hydraulic, transaxle is gear oil. The filter could be plugged up on the power steering, but then again have you checked it? I'm not insulting your intelligence, but we have had guys come in that are used to newer systems that us oil out of the hyd reservoir and never added any to the powere steering pump! wonder why it doesn't work....? This should also take HTC. The pump is simple, loosen the nut on the back in the middle and the whole reservoir comeoff (dumping fluid) and there is your filter. Check it out, these things are pretty easy.
Ok I'm not insulted, you do not know my skill-set so breaking it down to simple terms is alright. (but I did mention knowing the reservoir and filter) When the 3/8 acorn nut is removed the reservoir body can be removed, then there is a filter retaining nut and spring according to parts book. But had no clue what fluid was used. Question is will the o-ring for the reservoir body need replacement or is it usually good to go again?
Also today checked when the steering was binding and it seems at slow speeds, drove fast up and down driveway in first turning steering wheel does not bind slow to idle and I can not provide enough force to turn steering wheel!!
As far as the o-ring, well, it depends. When in the shop and doing it for someone else, I would probably change it. Not to rip them off, but just so it doesn't come back to bite me and them. If it were mine... if it doesn't look smashed/cut/damaged or hard as a rock, it give it a whirl. There isn't much fluid there and it's simple to change. When you say it turns good at upper rpm and basically none at idle, that sounds like a weak pump, but I'd have to see it.