Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310c Guru update and questions

electric481 ยท 2010-05-27 18:37

Thanks to all for who responded to my previous post. Here's where we are today. I have disconnected all switches that could have effected the drive operation of the hoe. I topped off reverser fluid while running and engaged with wheels up. In reverse, with wheels up, drive tire spins pretty good. In forward, wheel will spin but not with the power of reverse. With hoe on ground, it will move in reverse, but not forward. Although I can not comment of how much power it has, I don't have the real estate until I can go forward. With wheels up in forward I can grab and stop the short drive shaft (see pic) between the reverser and the tranny with one hand. In reverse, I gave it a quick shot, but as I suspected, I would have lost all of the skin on my hand. I have checked the tranny fluid and I assume that it has ample fluid. I was told after I bought the hoe, that the tranny dip stick was not O.E.M, so I am basing fluid levels from a drain and fill, according to JD quantities. Any thoughts on my next move? Issue #2. Hoe still fires great with ether, but not on its own. Once it fires, it runs great. In pictures #2, I have a question as to the description of items listed as #1? & #2?. Could one of these items be causing my problem. Any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Replies7
  1. #1diggerdave19582010-05-27 21:01

    Hi, Electric481. I think i can help you with the 2nd question you have, #2 is your fuel pump and #1 is the fuel/water filter it should be full of fuel all the time and you will see water in the bottom i am not sure what the white stuff is, it should be a clear glass/plastic filter. I would check the fuel pump #2 disconnect the line between #1 and #2 and make sure she is pumping ?????? and make sure the line betweem them is clear i would also replace the filter too just to be safe. ????

  2. #2willie592010-05-27 22:27

    You're right diggerdave, #2 is a fuel pump, but more correctly, it's a "fuel lift pump" or "transfer pump". Easy to confuse someone with terms. And what's up with that fuel in the filter? Something don't look right about that fuel. :beatsme

  3. #3electric4812010-05-28 01:04

    Thanks for the heads up on the pump and filter. As far as the funny look of the filter...I think what we're seeing is the glare from the sun. The clear filter is a bluish color and I think we're just seeing the effects from the photography. Before posting, I drained the fuel tank and filled with fresh diesel + some diesel additive, so it should be good to go. I'm assuming I can get the filter through a J.D. Dealership, so I will pick one up and see if that helps. I will also check the pump out. Thanks again.

  4. #4willie592010-05-28 18:46

    You can get the fuel filter from Deere, or a NAPA 3370, or Wix 33370. Do not use a 33369, they look similar, but are different internally and won't work on your engine. The 33369 is a water seperator for a Cat 3208 engine and some Deere engines that used (2) of these style filters. If you just have one filter, which you should, it would be a 33370. Your may have wondered how you get the filter off without spilling fuel everywhere. There is a drain on the bottom corner of the filter mount, but they are typically clogged with dregs and don't work. What I do I place my fingers on the center of the glass filter pressing inward much like the clamp does. Then with other hand, unlatch the clamp. In you pic, your clamp is latched at the bottom. You would unlatch the bottom first, while holding filter in with finger pressure. Switch hands for finger pressure while extracting clamp to get it out of the way. Then you simply give the filter a quick pull away from the engine and quickly invert it with the holes upward. You'll drop a little fuel, but not an excessive amount. Install your new filter empty, then loosen that plug fitting you see at the top corner of the filter base, above the fuel inlet line. Be gentle, that plug fitting is made of aluminum and will damage easily. Go ahead and remove the fitting and check the o-ring seal on it. If it's bad, you have to use what's known as an "o-ring boss" style o-ring. Standard size o-rings won't work. Once you've insured you have a good o-ring for the plug, screw it back in a few threads but leave it loose. Start working the priming lever on the lift pump to fill the new filter with fuel, air will bleed out loosened plug. If it seems primer lever isn't doing anything, the lift pump is probably on a cam lobe. Bump the engine over with starter, but not enough to start engine. Try lever again. Once full, it will squirt fuel out of plug, tighten plug (gently). Now give the primer lever a few more pumps until it gets a little firm. Your now ready to start your engine. You can use some starting fluid to rinse the spilled fuel off the engine and components so dust doesn't stick to the fuel and get all messy in there.

  5. #5electric4812010-05-28 19:22

    Kudos for the reply. I certainly appreciate the time and knowledge. I will pick up the parts and see what I can do.

  6. #6willie592010-05-28 20:31

    As for your shuttle trans, will drive in reverse but not in forward. Can't say for certain, but sounds like you have a problem with the forward clutch pack. The fact that it will drive in reverse indicates the convertor is good as well as the convertor charge pump, the pressure regulating valve, and the forward/reverse control valve. I'm thinking either the forward clutch pack discs are bad or the clutch pack piston seals are failed.

  7. #7Swanny2011-11-21 15:13

    Curious if this drivetrain issue was resolved? I have a 310c that has a semi-similar problem. Mine is immobile unless you activate the diff-lock. Then one wheel will move the machine. Thinking a broken drive axle on one side?