Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310c Injector pump problems

Tawn ยท 2014-02-12 03:13

I bought this 1987 John Deere 310c 18 months ago it had a new injector pump put on.. now I can run my machine for about 5 hours and I have a mixture of diesel/oil blowing out the dip stick...so I have to change oil every 5 hours of use or so... any comments on how to stop me from waisting my fuel? I think when the pump was replaced they might of nicked or cut an O ring seal or something...don't know, Im just getting started into this life of moneypit repairs of an OLD backhoe...

Replies6
  1. #1thepumpguysc2014-02-12 06:57

    There are several different styles of inj. pumps that went on the 310c.. Theres a name plate on the side of the pump.. get me the #'s and we can go from there.. One style, the drive shaft stays with the pump and the seals are pressed into the pump housing.. On another, the drive shaft stays in the engine and has the seals on the drive shaft.. I would also be looking at the "lift pump" that feeds the injection pump.. I would DEFINATLY fix the problem before running the engine again..

  2. #2Bill Smith2014-02-12 07:17

    One good thing about it your engine internals will be clean

  3. #3Delmer2014-02-12 09:41

    You're in good hands, Thepumpguy will set you straight. To test the lift pump leave the lines connected, loosen the nuts and pull the pump out enough to see the arm. Pump the primer lever and keep it pumped up long enough to be confident that it's leaking or not (5 minutes?) Do that first because it's easier. Did it do this as long as you've had it, or just start?

  4. #4d9gdon2014-02-12 15:43

    I bet it's the pump where the shaft stays with the engine and the seals are easily cut if you install it without having the GOVERNOR TIED ALL THE WAY OPEN. This is the last time I remember being stumped on a mechanical problem where I had to give up and call professional help. I remember it well, and BTW damn you again John Deere. It was on a 450C dozer.

  5. #5chris allen2014-02-12 17:24

    Hey there ive battled this issue several times before,,,, like some one before said check the fuel trainsfer pump for leakages, also the injector pump that's on it is well know for leaking fuel into oil pan, the shaft that goes in the front of the pump that drives the pump has 2 umbrealla shaped seals on it, one faces forward an the other races rearward,(away from each other) that's were the fuel leaks but to get into oil. if pump has wear in it the pump drive shaft can float up down an fuel leak by. also look at end of fuel injector lines ontop of head an make sure its not stoped up anywere, sometimes the fuel returns back to tank an sometimes the return fuel can run back into top of injector pump into a small hex shaped bolt fitting, if this is urs remove the line an take fitting outta top of pump , an look inside it , it has a check valve in it, a small spring an small glass ball, there bad bout getting trash in it, at times ive tookem out an cleaned out an even at times took a small drill bit an a hammer an busted the glass ball outta the fitting an clean it out an reinstall it, normally if this check valve gets stopped up or dirty the motor will run for a min an shut down, itll do it over an over, even sometimes hard to start if it builds back pressure in pump. but im sure the shaft in pump were the 2 umbrella seals are is ur propb.

  6. #6Tawn2014-02-12 23:52

    .I replaced pump , and yes it has done this since I bought the machine. It is hard to start when cold but warm up with torpedo heater first. I will get number off of pump and will post to you thepumpguysc