Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Timing marks JCB 4cx Perkins A4

Jaxo ยท 2014-02-12 09:53

Hi all I just bought a 2nd hand JCB 4CX. Also called the 4x4x4. My serial number: SLP4CXFSSE0431992 The engine was opened and closed by the previous owner. I need to replace the main, b/end, etc bearings. I opened the cover, and all the markings does not seem to line up. Even after a few turns. Can someone please tel me how they should be or send me diagram or photo. Even better if you have the engine workshop manual. I would also need the torque settings for the top, mains & b/ends. Thanks in advance. Jax0

Replies3
  1. #1Jaxo2014-02-15 02:20

    Update. OK, I rotated the crank 180 and it looked as if the idle gear was out with 7 teeth. One question, one the injector pump gear it is lined up on the mark with a 4 next to it. There is also a number 6 mark. What is the 6 for if the 4 is the correct one?

  2. #2Plebeian2014-02-15 05:42

    You might try downloading a manual from the Perkins website if your engine is listed there. What is the rest of the 4 cx like condition wise? Sometimes it can be better to replace the whole engine with a new engine (with a warranty) than try to fix the old one. Is there anyone in your area who rebuilds Perkins/ Caterpillar engines?

  3. #3thepumpguysc2014-02-15 08:30

    # of cylinders.. same gear used on 4 and 6 cylinder engines.