Hello All Both swing cylinder seals are shot so today I decided to replace them. Thank to the good folks here I learned that its easier to leave the cylinders in the machine and just remove the gland. An hour of turning that gland nut and I realized the rod is turning with the gland nut. Once again, thank to the good folks here I learned to extend the piston outward and this would put pressure on the rod into the metal snap ring. That's when I discovered that only 1 swing cylinder is working. I'm not able to extend the rod on the left side. Funny thing is the right swing rod extends just fine. Looks like I've been running the machine on one swing cylinder for a while (new machine to me). I did notice the swing was a bit slow but chalked it up to the seals being shot. My question is, would bad seals cause one cylinder not to operate at all? or does this sound like a control valve issue (hoping not) Additional question, any tips other then air pressure on how to extend that cylinder to the rod being the hydraulics aren't doing the job? I'm thinking a tow strap around a tree and letting the machine move forward until the piston is fully extended....then I'll pray.... thanks for any advice or tips, I'v learned so much from HEF....
Possible. Also possible the piston has parted company with the rod somehow. The cylinders are teed together in a push pull fashion with no fancy valving or the like, when unpinned usually one will push all the way out and the other will then pull in. YMMV.
Where's the backhoe boom? I'd prefer to use a chain and winch/come along/ratchet binder attached to the laid down boom to pull the rod out tight. You have a little more control than driving forward, and probably more power too. You'll find out soon enough what the issue was?
Delmer's good advice & it could be a seal or piston off. These are from swing cylinders on a hoe I had at one time 1st one side then a while later the other. End broke off.