I have A JD 310c 2wd. Last fall it stopped pulling. just like it is in neutral. no warning, no odd noises. The drive line going from shuttle tranny to the 4 speed transaxle is turning, but no matter what gear it is in the wheels will not pull. off the ground i can turn them by hand. It is spring now, so I need to get this thing running. Is there A common problem with these transaxle, or can someone tell me where to start. Thanks Ken
I have heard of these machine breaking the rivets that attach the crown gear to the axle. With the rear wheels off the ground, if you turn the right wheel front words, the left wheel should turn rear words. If you spin one wheel and the other is not turning then it would sound to me that the rivets have broken.
Thanks for the quick reply. I will check tomorrow. Ken
Deon, does it need to be in gear for that to work? And Worm, are the wheels turning with it in gear too? Next, I'd start with draining the fluid and checking for junk (if you find some, post the pics), if nothing drains out fish around with a magnet on a wand. Then pull the cover off of the top to see what you can see.
I would put it in gear. That way the opposite wheel should turn at the same speed as the one your turning, but in the opposite direction.
I know this is a few years later, kinda forgot to follow up. It was the rivets , some came out and some sheared off the crown gear. I didn't know they used rivets instead of bolts. I got a bolt kit from Eric, he rebuilds transmition on JD, It was a lot of work, but me and a buddy finally got er dun. Big thanks to Deon and Delmer for all your help.