Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310D backhoe reverser replaced but still seems weak

Deereguy5343 · 2021-12-08 22:49

Hi ladies and Gents, I have been battling my late father John Deere 310D backhoe for months now. I lost forward and reverse and after looking around the forum I decided to drop the reverser and have rebuilt. Fast forward a month and I stab the reverser back in and change the selenoids. Now the tractor goes in forward and reverse perfectly but I don’t seem to have near as much pushing power as before. Basically full throttle to scoop into a pile of fill dirt to move it. I did have to bleed some air off the brake hydraulic line to get the brake to release. My question is do I have to basically bleed all the air off the hydraulic lines from the reverser? I also get some back pressure out the reverser fill tube when I switch it off. I’m a stumped fellow at the moment and would greatly appreciate a little guidance. Thank you in advance for your expertise.

Replies14
  1. #1mg23612021-12-09 05:29

    Welcome to HEF Deereguy5343 ! Serial number? Check the breather on the reverser.

  2. #2Deereguy53432021-12-09 08:30

    Thanks for responding mg2361, Here my serial- T0310DG814698 Do you mind guiding me to where the breather is on the reverser?

  3. #3mg23612021-12-09 12:18

    I think, based on the serial number the dipstick itself is the breather. If there is a separate breather it would be on top of the reverser just in front of the driveshaft. Your machine should have an arrangement like the one shown below. Is oil only coming out when shutting down or when applying the park brake as well? Are you checking the reverser oil level with the engine running and warmed up?

  4. #4Deereguy53432021-12-09 12:32

    Yes, that is my set up. Just FYI I slightly opened the connector at the brake controller to allow some air to bleed off but I’m not sure if I got it all out. Should I be doing this or not? I have not been checking it when hot but I will from now on. Would it be too much fluid if it at the full mark when cool.

  5. #5mg23612021-12-10 04:23

    Warm is OK, does not have to be "hot". Might be slightly higher with it warm. Bleeding is not necessary on those machines. When checking the oil does it appear foamy? The oil burping out on shut down is either from being overfull or from aeration, caused by the breather system or an assembly issue (cut O-ring on the pickup screen??). Check the dipstick thoroughly, and remove the hose (item 35) from the dipstick and check for obstructions. With the dipstick removed blow back through that hose. Air should pass freely back to the reservoir and be heard out the dipstick tube. You said the unit was rebuilt. By whom? A dealer?

  6. #6Deereguy53432021-12-11 21:21

    Thank you so much MG for the info. I will check (35) for obstructions. And yes the oil is very foamy and I used the correct John Deere hydraulic fluid called out in the tech manual. I don’t know why it is still foamy. As for who rebuilt, I have a HE shop (not dealer...couldn’t afford them) near my farm that rebuilds such and they rebuilt with new clutches and pump and I put it back in.

  7. #7Finca SDR2021-12-12 11:49

    I had to rebuild my reverser and then thought it was weak, even though it was working "fine". No slipping, just low on power. Then I got my diesel injection pump serviced, not sure exactly what the dude did but he opened it and replaced some seals and adjusted it. Nothing expensive replaced. NOW the thing has the power I'd expect. That thing is awesome. Same machine as yours.

  8. #8Finca SDR2021-12-12 12:02

    PS - if your reverser oil is getting hot, like French fries and KFC hot, that's a good indicator there's something wrong in the reverser. The oil never gets hotter than "very warm" in mine. Exxxtra hot means it's squirting through internally somewhere, perhaps something got ground up or damaged in the initial malfunction? Happened to me. Squirting = low pressure = discs slipping. Reverser problems can involve discs slipping, where your engine revs high but not pushing hard. If your engine is just bogging down that's indicative of engine crap like injection pump, air filter, diesel screen blah blah blah. Sorry don't wanna be long winded but I had reverser nightmares for a while and these were some of my experiences. Good luck Check your

  9. #9Deereguy53432021-12-12 13:12

    Thank you so much for the advice. This reverser will be the death of me! The oil doesn't get really hot just foamy.

  10. #10Dave Neubert2021-12-13 16:15

    Did you rebuild the torque convertor

  11. #11Dave Nance2022-02-11 15:15

    I have the issue of the brakes seem not to release, I flip the brake switch off, but the light will not go out and the machine will not move. any ideas what it may be? Thanks

  12. #12Tinkerer2022-02-11 16:11

    Welcome to HEF, Dave ! You need to start your own thread. Hi-jacking a thread that is in progress creates confusion. Hopefully one of the moderators will move it.

  13. #13Dave Nance2022-02-11 16:24

    sorry, was not aware of how to start a thread.

  14. #14mg23612022-02-12 04:50

    Welcome to HEF Dave ! See below