Hey All, I have another question about my basket case 310D. It is pretty cold here in the Jemez Mountains and a I know a block heater would help out tremendously when it comes time to move snow. I did a little research and believe the correct block heater for my JD is part # AT74940 which is a 1-5/8" bung fitting that goes in the left side of the engine. Well....I went and looked at the engine and can't find a 1-5/8" plug in the cooling system anywhere. Am I missing something or is my JD missing something? Does anyone have a picture? I guess a picture really is worth a thousand words. Thank you all for your help. Eric
Your coolant heater part number is correct . Found this pic from the 310D operators manual at the Deere bookstore The plug to remove to install the coolant heater is circled in red.
The pic show it. If yours doesn't have that, it could be a 310, the "D" is in the serial number but stands for Dubuque. Post the serial number, or a pic of the machine, or look at a straight 310 vs a 310D.
I will go look again and maybe post a picture. My serial number is T0310DF 793970. I assume it is a 310D because it has the badge on the backhoe boom??
Here are some pictures of my left side engine and I don't see the plug. I also added a pic of the backhoe boom. I guess it could be possible that the engine or the boom was swapped out sometime in its life.
The engine has been swapped. The original engine had a RoosaMaster / Stanadyne injection pump. That IP looks like a CAV. Can you take a pic of the other side of the engine ?
Hey Dave, I will get a picture of the other side tomorrow. If I remember correctly, I think I there was a serial # on the engine somewhere. I will see if I can find that.
The original 310D engine would have been a 4039D or T . Most 4239D or T engines had the option for a recirculating heater. If installed was on the right hand side of the engine, Pic below is of a typical install.
Locate the tractor serial number plate. Decals with model numbers on a machine are not a reliable way to truly know what it is. Your picture of the injection pump makes me wonder if you really have a 310D.
Tinkerer, Serial Number (PIN) is: T0320DF793970. So what does this tell me about the machine?
Sorry, fat fingers this morning, my serial number is: T0310DF793970.
Does this help ??
T0 310D G793933 It tells me that you have a 1993 John Deere 310D. showrguy; I like your block heater.
Dave, here is a picture of the right side of the engine and a pic of the engine ID tag. Looks like the tag says the engine is a 1839T?? Guess this means I ordered the wrong block heater. Showrguy, thank you for the picture, looks like I will be ordering a similar recirc heater. Tinkerer, thank you for the information on my backhoe. I really appreciate all you guys.
Glad to know I could help someone around here…. Ton of smarter/more experienced guys than me hang around these threads !
The paint on the block doesn't match the paint on the accessory's. FWIW which is nothing. The serial #on the tag is TO 4939D 425221. It appears you have a 4039D in it.
The engine info sticker (which I assume represents the original engine) is attatched to the rocker cover. The rocker cover would have been swapped over to the existing engine. The 1839T is a code for a basic engine, it does not represent engine size or a model number. In my opinion the existing engine block is not a 4039D. Is there a serial tag riveted to the existing engine block ? You will need that info moving forward when ordering engine parts. showrguy provided great info on how to plumb in a recirc heater which was the original goal
Is there an injection pump model number, part number or serial number on the injection pump tag ? HEF member thepumpguysc may be able to use that info to produce a Deere engine model and or Deere engine serial number for the existing engine.
Thanks for the info Dave. I agree that showrguy had some great pics and provided the info I need. Where might I find the engine block tag? I believe there is a tag on the IP, I will take a look tomorrow. I assume I can message thepumpguysc?
The serial # tag should be fairly obvious on the right side of the engine block. It may also be hidden behind the fuel filter mount. If you can’t find a serial tag on the engine block , You can message the pumpguysc asking him to have a look at any injection pump info you post here.
showerguy's picture of his 410 that shows his injection pump and it looks just like Eric's.
No, Eric's is a CAV pump with the shaft coming out the top vertically instead of out the side horizontally like a Stanadyane/roosa master. Doesn't matter one bit to the heater install. None of those parts need to come from deere, the petcock is usually 1/4" which is what the parts breakdown stated. I'd get two 1/4" npt x 2" or so nipples to go into the block in those locations, and whatever fittings you need to adapt to probably 3/8" npt to clamp the heater hose to run to a tank type "circulating" heater. I'd try to mount the heater more directly under the top port, and lower down if possible, since the ports are only 1/4" NPT. Most heaters you get will have the top port vertical to make it easier.
Please post a picture of the injection pump serial plate. The parts page shows 13 different injection pumps. The build codes for that machine show the engine serial number posted. I agree with Diesel Dave, an injection pump serial might yield some other information from thepumpguy. It might also be one of the pums listed on the parts page that are not labeled "Stanadyne".
Hey Guys, just got in with some pics of the injection pump ID plate. Looks like a CAV pump type: RE 15699 serial number 232562 J. I will message thepumpguy and see if they might have any other information.
So am I to assume that my engine is a 4239? On another note, what is the website that has the information above? That's a great resource.
partscatalog.deere.com assume nothing with that engine
You have a bit of a frankengine. Some 4039 , some 4239. When necessary, the numbers cast into the major parts should help to determine what’s what.
OK Delmer, no further assumptions with this engine . Like Diesel Dave says, I can always pull the part and get the part #. On another note....I got a message back from thepumpguysc and he traced my injection pump to a Peugeot XD 2P, 4.94 CLM Industrial engine??? Not sure what to make of that.
Thepumpguy is full of ****, don't believe anything he says! They all just take in old pumps, spray paint them and then send them back out to the wrong person, that's how yours got messed up. The worst part about that, now your good old JD engine has French cooties, and we all know how reliable THAT'S going to make it.
Holy Crap Delmer, did ya finally try the high test CBD fur yur joint pain today?
Thanks Delmer, I will try to keep the JD with the French cooties running.
Where did you acquire your 310D ? Is there any chance you could contact the previous owner and get some info on the IP that is on it ? I would sure we would all like to know how someone figured out that a pump on a Peugeot engine wound up in a John Deere 310D. Someone must of had access to an interesting cross reference document for that pump. ---- Maybe. PS--- The splice on the fuel shutoff solenoid wire looks a little sketchy.
Oh come on Tinkerer, that splice is fantastic compared to the way it was when I brought it home. Really though, that is a heat shrink butt connector, it is fine. I picked up this backhoe in Santa Fe and to the best of my knowledge, the PO is still there. I will reach out to him. ON another note, I should have the block heater hooked up tomorrow and I will post some pictures.
Block Heater finally installed. Just wanted to thank everyone for the help with this and my other issues.
How does the circulation work? Is it thermally?
Wonder if it may be like the old John Deere tractor coolant heaters? JD had an external canister plumbed in with a one way check valve in the bottom, when the element got smokin' hot the coolant rose through the top hose and coolant sucked in from the bottom in effect making the coolant circulate.
They circulate by convection, so the warm coolant rises into the the engine and the cold coolant flows into the bottom of the heater. That installation is very good, the hose goes straight up into the middle of the engine. The only weakness is those fittings looked like only 1/4" NPT which is a little bit of a bottleneck, so the fitting might get hotter than it would if the fitting was 3/8", and lose a little more heat, but you'll never notice the difference at most temps. The check ball is to prevent bypassing through the heater when the engine is running, not for the circulation while heating, in this case with the ports being close together, I'd remove the check ball.
The circulation heater works great, I just plug it in about an hour or so before I want to start it up and it is nice and warm. Even on those days that are really cold it works well. Now on to the next problem.