Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310D boom cylinder disasembly

Boomhand850 ยท 2016-06-02 12:04

Hello everyone, I am having trouble removing the piston rod from my 310D boom cylinder to reseal it. The boom is fully extended, I unpinned the rod and fully extended it and pulled it back a little bit, got the old spanner wrench out to remove the gland nut on the end of the cylinder, got it loosened and spun it counter clockwise several time (at least six or seven times** the thing turns but don't seem to be backing out, i'm sure there is a reason for this, I just don't know what it is so i'm appealing to all the great service people on this site. Thanks in advance.

Replies7
  1. #1lantraxco2016-06-02 13:16

    The ring nut is supposed to thread off, but it sounds like the gland is spinning. Extend the cylinder hard against the stop, spin the nut off and then back it up a few inches. Relieve the pressure, then probably loosen the rod end hose up so oil can come out, then the gland can be pushed in far enough to remove the retaining ring.

  2. #2Boomhand8502016-06-02 13:17

    well my dumb ass finally figured out that the gland nut did not thread onto the cylinder but the gland, I ran the piston out against the gland and the thing unthreaded.Thanks

  3. #3Boomhand8502016-06-02 14:41

    now if I can get the lock ring off maybe I can get this thing apart, anybody got any ideas

  4. #4Boomhand8502016-06-02 14:45

    Thanks Lantraxco

  5. #5lantraxco2016-06-02 15:03

    They're not my favorite design, lol. I usually push the gland in until it's out of the way, drive a thin screwdriver under one end of the lock ring and try to grab it with some angled needlenose pliers. Sounds easier than it is.

  6. #6Deon2016-06-03 22:40

    And once the wire ring comes off you need to spend the time to clean out the groove so that the plastic ring tool fits perfectly in that groove so you can pull the piston out. I've seen a few times when it was not possible to get the tool to stay put. When that happens, I just filled the groove with body filler instead. If you do it that way, dig out the body filler immediately after pulling out the piston. The body filler can be cut out with your pocket knife if done immediately. Also, leaving a little smeare of oil in the groove will help prevent the body filler from sticking too tightly.

  7. #7CTDEEREGUY2016-06-03 23:43

    did you push the rod back into the cylinder a few inches? if so, look for the space in the metal ring....it's not a full ring but you'll see a small 1/8 gap in the ring. Aim for that, push it back into the cylinder and the ring will flip sideways, from there use a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the ring out. I just replaced both stabilizers last weekend and this tip worked like gem. In summary, to get the metal ring out of the cylinder you actually have to push it into the cylinder a bit.