Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 9300 backhoe removal/replacement procedure

hetkind ยท 2016-06-02 10:36

I am the happy owner of a JD 450B track loader with the JD 9300 backhoe attachment. What I would like is assistance on what I have heard is the correct procedure for removal/replacement of the roughly 5,000lb attachment. This is the top pin and bottom hook variety with quick disconnects for the hydraulics.. The procedure I have seen is to: spread outriggers to take tension off the pins, use wood blocks if necessary, with boom and bucket as an additional prop. remove top pins with hammer. lift with outriggers and free bottom hooks (after loosening bottom bolts before removing top pins) drive tractor forward about 18" unhook quick disconnects and rehook to preserve fluid in tractor system with attachment simply being the opposite. Before I attempt such a process, can I get some feedback on the validity of the procedure? Better to ask then screw it up. Howard

Replies7
  1. #1Welder Dave2016-06-04 02:00

    You basically have it. It's pretty much the same procedure on a Cat backhoe. The most important thing to remember is never run the machine with the hoses disconnected. The hoe either has to be hooked up or the 2 quick couplers coupled together or you will dead head the pump. Find a level area to remove the hoe. I like to curl the bucket all the way in so it can't creep over time and have the stick fully retracted as well for the same reason. I put a block under the swing post so it can't fall too much and make the hoses too short to reconnect. I'm thinking about making a chain to connect the 2 stabilizer pads so they can't spread and lower. The first time I took the hoe off was kind of a nightmare because I'd never done it. I was beating and pulling on the pins when I didn't need to. Set it up like a tripod with the boom and stabilizers. Then just move the stabilizer and/or boom controls ever so slightly to get the pins loose. When you have it right they will slide out easy. No Hammer needed. Then lift up the hoe enough to clear the bottom "hooks" and drive forward about 2' feet. Watch the hoses aren't pulled tight. When you have enough room to get at the quick couplers, shut the machine off and put your block under the swing post. Then move the swing control, bucket control and/or stick control levers up and down to relieve system pressure. You don't want to move the boom or stabilizer controls much because it will lower the hoe. Now disconnect the quick couplers and hook the hose on the machine to the other quick coupler on the machine. Now you can drive forward and have enough room to connect the hoe couplers together. I find hooking the machine couplers together usually goes easy but installing the hoe back on the machine can be pain because there is pressure in the hoses on the hoe. One hose will go on easy and then you fight with the other one. Either try to push the ball on the couplers in to relieve pressure or loosen the couplers to let a little oil out to relieve pressure. When hooking the hoe up, put the front bucket on the ground and after shutting off the machine move the loader controls to relieve pressure.

  2. #2hetkind2016-06-04 12:44

    thank you for the advice...i am going to seperate the hoe so i can rebuild the vavle block for the controls and still use the loader. Howrd

  3. #3hammertime2016-06-08 16:08

    "dead head the pump" . what happens then? sounds expensive, would love to know

  4. #4hetkind2016-06-08 16:24

    Dead head means you pump against a closed end with no relief. On a positive displacement pump, something has to give, and it is usually the pump. Not good... Good design puts a relief in to prevent damage. Howard

  5. #5hammertime2016-06-08 16:35

    I could pretty much use that definition to describe my morning dump thank you for the info

  6. #6hetkind2016-06-08 17:17

    That would be between you and your health care provider...perhaps some fiber and Omega 3 fish oil in the diet would help. I will get back on this project end of the week, covering other issues on plant work. Howard

  7. #7GregsHD2016-06-08 21:54

    Just FYI a 9300 hoe attachment weights just over 3000lbs, so it's not as exciting as you think haha!