Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310D difficult to restart when hot. Pump?

Finca SDR ยท 2018-07-05 19:12

Hola everyone, Does anyone have experience with a hoe that's difficult to get running again after it's been running and is hot? It'll turn over no problem in the morning when it's cold but once it's hot I have to use the magic gas rag to restart it or wait a few hours to cool down. My mechanic says it could be the injection pump. He also says it's expensive to rebuild so I hope it's something else. Any other ideas? 1997 JD 310D. Thanks ! Sebastian

Replies4
  1. #1thepumpguysc2018-07-06 06:39

    Its very possible the head & rotor in the pump is worn.. but its not always the head & rotor.. it might just need a good rebuild.. Check to see if the filters are full, next time it wont start.. I had 1 that the tank was rusted so bad that it destroyed the lift pump..& it wouldn't fill the filters so the injection pump could pump.. The only way to tell if its the head & rotor is a tear down or calibration check..

  2. #2Finca SDR2018-07-06 14:44

    Hmmm... that's almost exactly what my mechanic said. He's generally correct about this type of stuff. The pre-pump system is working okay, I ran out of diesel the other day and had to purge a bunch of foam and bubbles before it'd start again, so I know that pressure is making it to the injection pump. Gonna look into what a new or rebuilt pump costs up north, here in Costa Rica it costs $500 just to get the basic seals rebuild or whatever, and then apparently it can get up to a thousand or two if the rotor or other stuff needs to be replaced. Someone is coming to visit soon so maybe it's more feasible to bring a new one down. Thanks for the information!

  3. #3thepumpguysc2018-07-07 07:19

    Just get the #'s off the nameplate.. & do a search.. DB2-???? or for that matter, post'm here..

  4. #4Finca SDR2018-07-18 14:24

    Hola Pump Guy, Just an update, lost steam on replacing the thing right now, forgot it was Friday when I was worrying about it and that express shipping wasn't going to happen in time for my dad that was coming to visit to bring it to CR with him. Oh well. The catalyst for the frenzy was that it had trouble starting that morning so I got worried it was getting worse. But it hasn't had trouble or gotten worse since then so it's probably not a fire I need to put out immediately. Anyways thanks again for the advice, it'll be useful when the time does come