I have a JD 310D 4wd TLB. It ran out of gas and i refilled the tank. It was turning over fine and I tried to give it a shot of ether (not while cranking it over) to get it primed. Tractor made a loud diesel knock and won't turn over with the starter at all now. I thought maybe it just had too much compression on one cylinder and let it sit a couple days hoping it would leak down. Still no luck? What to do next? I am praying I haven't really screwed something up like a rod or worse?. Any idea's or help is much appreciated. thanks, trin
So the starter clacks but won't turn the engine and doesn't make any spinning noise itself? Try grabbing the belt and turning the engine backwards, and forwards to see if it will budge, and how far around it will turn. If it won't budge, remove the starter and see if you can turn the engine over by prying on the ring gear, gently, it shouldn't take much force at all. Then you can have the starter tested too, if nothing is obvious at that point.
Yair . . . trinculo With diesel fuel? Cheers.
Yes of course diesel. The starter makes no noise or clicking at all.
Then I'd double check that it's in neutral, the battery cables are tight etc. Or hook up a multimeter test lead to the starter side of the solenoid and see if it's getting power.