Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310D Fuel delivery

mathman ยท 2010-03-30 19:23

Situation; I parked the machine about thanksgiving with no problems at all,started it every week ran it for 15 min or so. last week I started to use the machine and several issues have come up: Issue 1: I have delayed shut down of the engine, it started shutting down slowly then slower , and now it takes a while (a minute). turning the key off and on has no effect(does not speed up the shut down). Issue 2: Today it started to die on me while operating the loader, it starts up after 5 minutes, it will run for 10 min using loader. then it dies. While working the hoe it operates normally without any problems (no sudden kill) I have noticed before it dies, it runs rich. Any suggestions is apperciated. thank you for your time

Replies4
  1. #1Willis Bushogin2010-03-30 20:03

    shutting down I would take the fuel filter off and see if its full of fuel. It really sounds like the fuel filter is stopping up, the transfer pump going out, or the fuel piping is stopping up. Install a pressure guage somewhere in the fuel system and start working forward or backwards. This is really a simple thing to do once you get the fittings to make it work. i posted a similar problem like this and after the mechanic finally put a fuel guage inline, we found the problem Good Luck

  2. #2Phil2010-03-31 05:17

    Another thing to check is your fuel shut-off solenoid. I would get that fixed first, the 2 problems might be related. Phil

  3. #3mathman2010-03-31 10:06

    First thank you, Second, where are they hidding the relay(RE 37089)?I have Tech. manual and parts cat.

  4. #4mathman2010-04-02 09:33

    Update, the relay is inside the injection pump. I checked the relay for short,it was good. Took the relay apart gave it a good cleaning. Cleaned inside the pump with air and put everything back together. All is well, throttle response is much better too. Thank you Phil Mathman