Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

where does the hydrolic oil go?

n175h ยท 2010-03-31 14:45

Ok, be kind to me. I am learning. I fixed a leaking valve on my dipper assembly and about 3 qts of oil came out. I caught it in a clean container and want to put it back in. Where does it go? It appears to go in frame assembly for the front end loader, but I am not ashamed to ask. If it goes here, how much do you put in to make full level? There is a 3/8 pipe plug about 16" below this plug in the picture. Do I fill to that line? And what is an acceptable fluid for this? Tractor Supply is my most convenient place. David Picture attached

Replies14
  1. #1alrman2010-03-31 18:06

    n175h - your power of deduction is very good - you are pointing to the filler & have described the level plug........however as clean as the caught oil looks I would never tip it back into system.....unless I was out in the middle of nowhere & had no other oil. How much is 3 qts of oil worth? $10 ? pump = $500 + That's just my opinion

  2. #2daman2010-03-31 18:28

    I agree top off with NEW oil.

  3. #3n175h2010-03-31 20:45

    Got it. Thanks. Is there a good "Tractor Supply" oil that I could use? There is also a NAPA store in town. What is a good Case oil equivalent? David

  4. #4willie592010-03-31 21:04

    Hi n175h, a good quality brand AW32 hyd oil would work fine. With you in south Texas, you may want to use an AW46 if your temperature gets up there a bit.

  5. #5n175h2010-03-31 23:48

    Thanks, David

  6. #6n175h2010-04-01 19:26

    I got it all drained and new filter installed. I had to order the AW46 fluid. It will be here tomorrow. Will this system reprime itself? David

  7. #7Phil2010-04-01 20:14

    There is a bled screw, that must be loosened when filling the 580B left reservoir tank. Follow the left loader frame forward to where it bolts on the radiator guard; the 1/4"pipe plug will be on top of the frame. The right side reservoir(right side loader frame), will not fill unless trapped air is bled from the bleed screw I've referred too. Once the left tank is full, wait for a minute and recheck. Oil flows through the pump intake pipe, in front of the radiator, to fill the right side tank, but it does take a little time. Make sure the right side tank vent is clean and clear before filling. It's a good idea to maintain both tank vents, sometimes I replace them both with a slightly larger vent, like the type used for wood splitter tanks. Phil

  8. #8n175h2010-04-01 23:54

    Thanks Phil. I'll check that tomorrow. David

  9. #9n175h2010-04-02 10:16

    I put in 10 gallons of AW46 and I'm still not to the pipe plug over flow located about 16" below the fill tube. I only drained out about 7 gallons, so it was obviously low. I vented the front as Phil said and the oil flowed across to the other side. I started the hoe and drove off a 3' ledge with the front wheels to get the reservoir front end down and the back side higher to vent all the air. Seemed to work good. The cylinder actions are much smoother now. How much fluid does this take? Second question: (picture below) The gauge never came off the bottom of the green. Before change it was 3/4 through the green close to the "replace" range. Any concern about it being so low? Or is it just good clean fluid and a new filter? Thanks, David

  10. #10alrman2010-04-03 00:04

    theres a post in another thread that has a spec sheet for a 580B hydraulic system ......... wait a minute it's addressed to YOU :eek2 :yup tank is supposed to hold 11gallons - sometimes take a little more QUES 2) maybe your new oil is heavier than old oil? Filter may be different micron rating??? Does it stay that way when oil is warm?

  11. #11n175h2010-04-10 12:47

    Thanks for the response. I've been out on a job in Kansas for a week and haven't had computer access. I only ran the tractor for a few minutes after I filled with 10 gallons. It never changed on the gauge. The hydraulic response with the front end loader bucket was much smoother with the new oil. It's unknown what type of oil was removed. I used a Carquest filter that was crossed over from a WIX number that I found on this website from one of the forum members. I will have computer access until April 11, then back out on the job another week. I'll be home after April 17 and can play with the machine then, but is it a concern if it stays very low on the green range of the gauge? Also, on the spec sheet you listed, the reservoir capacity is listed at 11 gals. The system capacity is listed at 24 gals. What does the latter capacity mean? David

  12. #12mitch5042010-04-10 13:15

    reservoir capacity is just the tanks, system capacity is the tanks, cylinders,valves and all other plumbing. on filter restriction guage the lower the better. Also to check oil machine should be level,backhoe in travel position,loader bucket rolled back and arms down.

  13. #13n175h2010-04-10 21:00

    Wow, that means about 12~13 gals of old oil stays in the system after a change since I didn't drain hoses and such. David

  14. #14Phil2010-04-11 07:15

    I saw a backhoe once that was full of used motor oil in the hydraulic system. Jet black, the oil was. Quite normal for a 580B to have the filter gauge register like that. If you see it come up a bit when cold, you know it's working. The original gauge may still be available from Case. Phil