Hey fellas, JD310d 4x4 95 Just got this backhoe and it is throwing the stop warning light when it is at low rpm and in forward or reverse. It seems like it is more often after I have been running the hoe for a while. I can get it to clear when I rev the engine a bit before going into Fwd/rev. I did a coast test on a slight grade and the brakes are functioning normal that I can tell. When I set the park brake it stops the tractor. When I turn the parking brake switch off it allows the hoe to start downhill. I am not feeling any drag whatsoever. If it is dragging a brake what symptom would I see? It does not pull to either side downhill. It tracks straight. I want to believe it's the parking brake switch but it's throwing me that I can get it to stop when I boost the rpm. I am correct in that the brakes are spring applied and overridden (released) by hydraulic pressure from the reverser. So if I rev the engine and boost the pressure then it would override the springs and cancel the stop warning light. This makes me think I have low pressure from the reverser. How is the brake switch activated? Position? Pressure? Lots of questions but I am trying to lay it all out in detail for y'all Thanks!
Drake, You should have a string a warning lights on that panel to tell you which system is causing the Stop light to come on. With the engine off, turn the key until you are almost to the start position. All the lights in that string should light up. If they are not all lit up you may have one or more burnt bulbs. If a bulb is bunt then replace it. With all the bulbs working one of the bulbs should be on when the stop light is on to tell you what is malfunctioning.
Hey Deon, All lights are working and the logic for the "StopWarning"light is either low oil or overheat on the coolant or parking brake sender is activated. The "Service Required" light is the other light that activates if there is a issue with alternator, converter oil temp, air and hydraulic filter restriction. The Service required light is not coming on just the Stop warning. So it's narrowed down to low oil,overheat coolant or brakes sending unit. With the Stop Warning if it's the low oil or overheat coolant it also throws additional lights if activates. Those are not be thrown. That's why I am looking into a brake issue with the Stop warning. Also, that it only happens when I put into FWD or REV.
So you have oil, coolant and brake lights all on at once. That seems strange. But I understand that you're looking at the park brake if it's only on when in forward or reverse. it's almost like the logic module is confused. Does the logic module have a multi connection plugin? Maybe just a dirty/corroded connection. Maybe spray contact cleaner in there an work the connector in and out a bunch of times to clean up the contacts???
Hi Deon, I highlighted what I wrote earlier. I was explaining the logic of the "Stop Warning" light and what all it will throw. With mine its just saying Stop and throwing no additional lights. So that directs me to the brake sending unit only. Does anyone know how the brake sending unit is activated? is it hydraulic pressure or position of a linkage of some sort?
Looks like its a Reverser issue. See my new thread here.
My alternator wasn't working correctly....it caused crazy things with my stop light and warning lights.....just a thought
The park brake is on top of the rear end, if you pull floor plate and look on the right side you will see it. The switch is a position switch that the linkage hits.
Your gonna love this. Called in a field tech and he found the problem in 15 min. Whoever did prior work on the tractor routed all the hoses incorrectly. He routed all the hoses to the proper places and bam its fixed. Best money I ever spent.
Drake, Please tell us what hoses were routed incorrectly. We're they connected to the wrong place?
Yes, this is even more interesting. Was the cooler bypassed? or was it running over a relief the whole time? I would have guessed you were going to find the parking brake on all the time.