I have a JD 310SE backhoe and I use it to plow snow on my gravel road. I bought the spacers to be put between the axel and the wheel. They are about 2" thick. I used grade 8 bolts to mount the tires onto the axels. To do this you use bolts that are about 4" long. All the weight of the hoe is supported by these bolts as the spacers are not machined to fit on the axel lip like the rim is. Ok my problem! Within less than 10 hours of operation I sheared all 8 bolts. Now I didn't recheck the bolts for tightness and maybe I should have. Have any of you had this problem and how do you put chains on your rear tires?
My 310C has the spacers on them, and I haven't had an issue with the bolts. I checked my parts manual and they are (on a C series) to be Gr8, 3/4"x4". Make sure that you have no paint on the mating surfaces of the hub, spacer and wheel, then torque them again to the spec of the bolt. Again, on my C-series, the torque spec is 425 foot pounds, plus 125 or minus 85 foot pounds. So, up to 550 foot pounds in needed. Hope this helps.
John, Thanks for the info. I just tightened them but didn't torque them. It seems for the money you have to spend for these spacers they could have machined them to fit on the 1/4" lip on the axle. Thanx Jack