Hey Guys, brand new to this forum. I'm having small issue with my backhoe wanting to nip it in the bud soon if it might turn into bigger problems. I'm getting a cavitating noise from the transmission, first a filter solved the issue, 100 hrs later that filter split open the noise came back just a little prior to the filter failing. I havent cut open the filter yet to inspect it also prior to that I had issues going into gear when I was loading sand but that issue has never came back? Is there a primary screen some where that could be plugged or a valve causing the cavitation and noise? The machine works fine other wise I'm just worried it could turn into a failure. I've owned the machine since new 2012 with 3500 hrs
Welcome to HEF SRD ! You should have posted in the tractor loader backhoe section. You would get more views there. Hopefully a MOD can move it. You are sure the cavitation noise is from the transmission and not the hydraulic pump mounted to it?
Cut the exploded filter open and see what is in it. That will teel you a lot the problem. You prolly have a badly contaminated system from whatever caused the filter to burst. Are you still running the machine ?
After cutting the filter apart check and see if the filter paper bottom tin retainer has a piece broken out and the piece is missing. I seem to remember that transmission filter being an issue for a period of time. The piece would end up in the transmission front housing.
Oops ! I missed that part .
Ok, I made time this afternoon to address the Backhoe. I cut the filter apart, the tin retainer, 2 clips and spring from the bottom of the filter were bust apart but all still there in the housing and there was no bad contanimate. I also went ahead and cut the new filter I put on to get me going while I still had to use the machine. The guys at the dealership said it was an updated filter so. The only differance I could tell was there is a gasket like material on the tin retainer and maybe the filter element material? I couldn't tell from the differance of hrs on the filter right. I put on another filter and filled the trans with low vis trans/hyd, previosly I was using heavy oil. It msut have been the heavy oil. I went ahead and put low vis in my axles and diffs. Have only really been using the hoe lots in the winter the last couple years and long trailer rides in the wind chill. Going to work again next week should be ready to go, all working good right now at the shop. Thanks for the replies, I appriciate it
Old filter is black (P/N AT179323), new filter is white (P/N AT466863). I bet a piece got lodged in the transmission's system relief valve. Transmission pressure should be checked to know for sure. Maybe with luck, it was temporarily stuck, then flushed out???