Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Road building

Shimmy1 ยท 2022-11-15 21:39

Any of you guys have a quick and dirty formula for figuring yardage for grading up a road on semi-flat ground? I have a guy that wanted an estimate on such a project. Mile of road, 16' top width, approx. 2' high, 5:1 inslopes. I figured a 60' R.O.W. Stripping 6" comes out around 6000 yds. Whether you figure raising the profile average of 1', or removing 1' from each side leaving the 35' in the middle, the yardage comes out to 6500 yds before compaction. It's sand, so I only figured 25% compaction factor. Total grade dirt about 8000 yds. Does this sound plausible? I've never had to estimate a project like this without a definite plan in place. I ended up considerably higher than the other party so I questioned the numbers they used. Haven't heard back yet.

Replies7
  1. #1Shimmy12022-11-16 07:18

    .

  2. #2Shimmy12022-11-16 20:03

    No dirt guys on here anymore?

  3. #3crane operator2022-11-16 20:44

    I could lie to you and tell you I know what I'm talking about. But I think its going to be frozen before you can do a thing about it, so maybe work on a new ice fishing shack?

  4. #4CM19952022-11-16 20:45

    Well there's at least one here and I know of a few more.. You say semi-flat ground so I assume just stripping the topsoil and using what's left to make a crown? Not familiar with your soil conditions in ND and have no experience moving sand so no help on the cost/bid side. It's too late in the day to run your numbers but I can run them tomorrow if your looking for a quantity check.

  5. #5Shimmy12022-11-16 21:32

    Right on.

  6. #6CM19952022-11-17 09:27

    The average shrink/swell factor I use for our soils is 25% unless it's shot rock or gumbo clay. Here the topsoils is going to swell at least 25% so I figured it as if the job was here. Without the swell it's just shy of 6K CY. I am coming up with a little different numbers on the cut side but I may not understand how you want to tackle the grading of the road. Assumed leaving 35' in the middle which leaves 25' - 12.5 on either side to cut 1'. This creates 6K of cut and 6K of fill assuming the edges are flipped to the center to create a crown. What are you going to do with the 7,334 CY of topsoil? Spread it along the edges? What kind of wording for unsuitable soils? I would work up some unit pricing for excavating unsuitable soil, disposing, replacing/ importing suitable fill and compacting in place. Measurement is made in the field by the owner or owner's rep. The way I would price the job is have the following line items - Strip topsoil - CY Cut - CY Fill - CY (includes compaction) Fine grade - SF/SY/Mile Re-spread topsoil - CY The more line items you can dial the unit price down on the tighter the bid IMO.

  7. #7Shimmy12022-11-17 13:26

    You came up with basically the same numbers I did. Only difference is I assumed the 25% on the cut/fill dirt (I just had one line for each - topsoil stripping/reclaim and embankment) because it's going to take 25% more to get the profile he wants, which is ultimately going to require taking more dirt from various places to achieve the 8000 yards required. Thanks for working up the numbers.