Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 320D Skid – Aux Hydraulics not working

Willsy ยท 2022-01-21 19:08

Hi Y'all, just got a plow delivered, plugged in Aux hydraulics but the right controller rocker switch appears to be doing nothing (no noise, no movement), so I can't turn plow from side to side. I've had the skid for a couple of years but never attached aux hydraulics before, so I don't know if they ever worked. This a low-flow manual controls unit. Would appreciate some pointers on how to trouble shoot. Cheers, Ian

Replies23
  1. #1Txhayseed2022-01-21 20:39

    Well no movement out of the switch would lead me to think the switch is straight wonky

  2. #2HDGUI2022-01-21 20:41

    Is there a section in your user manual that describes the operation of the aux circuit? You may have a fuse that protects the electrical supply to that switch. Pop out the switch and see if you have power on any of the pins. Or do the simple thing first and see what you have for circuit protection...

  3. #3Willsy2022-01-21 21:30

    Good call, I'll start with the fuses.

  4. #4mg23612022-01-22 05:31

    The auxiliary proportional switch is controlled by the monitor, so if the monitor is working then the fuses are good. 1st question, are you in the seat with the seat bar down? If not, that disables the auxiliaries. Press and hold the menu button for about 5 seconds until the words "service menu" appear in the screen. Press next until diagnostics displays and press select. Press next until codes, press select. Post any stored or active codes. Press back. Press next until EMU outputs, then press select. Press next until AUX Extend amperage, press select. Move the roller and see if that reading changes. Then press back, then next for AUX Retract amperage and do the same. Do the amperages change when moving the roller? I do not think the roller switch is in the Switch section of diagnostics on the "D" series but it would be worth a look. That way if it is there you can see if there is an input to the EMU.

  5. #5Willsy2022-01-22 15:46

    Awesome, thanks, going to try this in a bit. Yep, was in seat with bar down.

  6. #6Willsy2022-01-22 16:37

    I got some more information. Haven't googled this yet, thought I would post here first. Active Codes: 1/1 EMU 523694.12 says in panel: AUX HYD, Channel 2 INPUT, then flashes DEVICE FAULT. EMU Outputs, shows AUX Extend 0.00A and AUX Retract 0.00A - Moving the rocker switch had no affect on amps. Not sure if this helps, but EMU Power showed Switched 14.7V, Unswitched 14.4V Found Switches in diagnostics menu, Aux Flow Set was set to OFF, but I am not sure if this is the switch that allows AUX to continue outside the cab?

  7. #7Willsy2022-01-22 17:33

    From what I have read elsewhere, I think I may be needing a new right Joystick, which I believe is AT356796. Thoughts?

  8. #8mg23612022-01-23 05:23

    That is why there is 0 amps showing. The code definition is Auxiliary hydraulic control channel 2 input does not compare proportionally to channel 1 input. If you clear the code and then the code returns, then you most likely need a right joystick. However in my OCDness, I still would make sure the wiring between the handle and the EMU are without issues before I put a $400 handle on. Make sure it has the 5V power supply, good ground and that the channel 1 (H20 green) and channel 2 (H21 green) wires are not shorted to ground or to any other wire. AT356796 would be correct. That is the switch to allow auxiliaries to function when you leave the operators seat. I PM'd you.

  9. #9Willsy2022-01-23 15:56

    Awesome, thank you so much for your help! I'll verify wiring and voltages hopefully today.

  10. #10Willsy2022-02-19 19:03

    Finally got around to testing the circuit. Yes, there is 5V and the ground is good. Neither channel 1 or channel 2 appear to be shorted. So I am guessing I need a new joystick. One question, how do you replace the joystick, the new one appears to have the connector attached, but there is no way that the connector will fit through the tube that the wire goes through. Any ideas how you replace the joystick given the connector won't fit through the tube it is in?

  11. #11mg23612022-02-20 05:09

    You have to remove the pins from the connector. Note the locations of the wires for reassembly.

  12. #12Willsy2022-02-20 21:25

    Great to know, thank you again!

  13. #13Willsy2022-02-20 23:40

    Can anyone recommend a suitable pin extraction tool? JD wants ~$200 for theirs, and it's on back order. I have no idea what kind of pin it is, so kind of hard to know which tool to order.

  14. #14mg23612022-02-21 04:41

    It should be a Deutsch connector. All you would need for that is a small screwdriver. Post a picture of the connector.

  15. #15Willsy2022-03-01 21:00

    Just wanted to report back. Yes it was a Deutsch connector. Watched a Youtube video on how to disassemble/assemble, took off the old one, ran the cable, rewired it, and it's all working now! Thank you so much for all your help and guidance mg2361, you were a huge help!!!

  16. #16mg23612022-03-02 04:50

    You are welcome. Glad to hear it is fixed!

  17. #17khines9302025-02-07 15:40

    I have a machine doing the same thing. But from H21 and H20 I'm on getting 2.5v. It has a brand new joy stick. The H34 and H35 that run to the auxiliary extend and retract we chaffed. Repaired and have not had auxiliary hyd. Since. No blown fuses no bad relays. Any help would be awesome.

  18. #18Scurbalurb2025-04-04 20:52

    Have you figured this out? I'm having the same issue, new switch.

  19. #19mg23612025-04-05 06:32

    Welcome to HEF Scurbalurb ! Any codes either active or stored when you scroll to codes in the monitor? Sorry, missed this one.

  20. #20Scurbalurb2025-04-05 09:23

    Thank you. 3 active codes, cleared and came right back. aux channel 1 and 2 low input and channel 2 fault. My book said to replace the switch. Harness and wiring looks great. I'm stumped.

  21. #21mg23612025-04-06 06:01

    The actual code number please? Machine serial number also, please?

  22. #22Scurbalurb2025-04-06 09:59

    Turned out to be a loose plug behind the data screen.

  23. #23khines9302025-04-07 12:54

    Yes I actually found what was going on, so the screen on the unit had a fault and was not allowing it to work. I'll have to look into what wires it was. I want to say it's h21 and h20 one is voltage in and the other is out on the back of the screen. Ordered new screen and had to have john deere rep come out to program it