I need a good buildable block for a CAT 3034
I work on those engines in Perkins trim, not Cat, and that does not seem like the kind you rebuild, more like throw in the trash and buy a new one. The box of parts to rebuild it probably costs more than a whole new engine. Edit: I think there may be more than one engine platform called a "3034". I am talking about the little Japanese one, there might be a larger one.
I mean rebuildable because the original block has unrepairable damage to it. I have a g.ood fuel system,head exhaust etc. I guess a good long block is what I need.
Number 4 rod get tired of playing??
Yep,after almost 15 years, it was a good engine and might have lasted 10 more years but it was turned over in2015 and I don't know how long it ran on it's side but it started skipping afterwards and I was chasing the skip by rebuilding the fuel system and checking the pushrods etc. When I had the pump rebuilt and fired it up it ran good....for about 1 hour!
Have you disassembled it? I'm curious if the oil pump came apart internally. I've got an extensive thread here on when mine came apart, it was due to the oil pump housing coming apart and total loss of oil pressure.
Steve, was yours the little Shibaura 2.2 liter with the angled injection pump, or the larger one I think this guy has? I have some new inside info on the Shibaura and was trying to remember the old thread, to dig it up.
The 3034 also has the injection pump cast in the block just like the 3024
No,not the 3034,the pump comes off as a unit.
The oil pump was fine,I don't know exactly what happened but I believe it weakened the rod somehow when it turned over and probably got oil in the topend,just guessing.
What machine did it come out of? I had same issue in a 262 cat thought that was a 3034, If I remember correctly. Injection pump comes out as a cartridge. Turbo?
Nope heres a 3034 out of a no letter 277
Cat sells a short block IIRC. Limited stock. This is a hard engine to find, when I got one quoted from Cat one was available in Pennsylvania, however when I had made my decision that engine was gone and one available in the country in California. I bought a complete takeout from an out fit in Michigan.
the pump HOUSING is cast into the block but the pump itself is a unit,cartridge,as Dieseldog said.
No TURBO
I must have misunderstood you or something the first time. My bad...
I honestly couldn't tell you. I had a tough time determining the Cat engine number too, it wasn't on any of the ID plates. They were Perkins numbers. The thread is here: HeavyEquipmentForums
Do you have a block for sale?
You probably don't want it it has a hole at number 1 and number 4. They don't that one up right....
That fuel system looks a lot like the 844T Shibaura that’s in dad’s LS160. yuk.
IIRC the 844t is the same motor, This engine for cat is a rebadged Perkins, that is a rebadged Shibura. So.... I wonder what else this engine is in that you can purchase a block from. Have you called your Cat dealer for price and availability?
Yep same basic system the n844/3024 is the same thing. If you take a 844 block from a tractor and put it in a skid loader you need to plug the oil feed to the vibration damper
It's been a while since I called Cat, but I think it was WAY more expensive than I am willing to pay. I will try to repower with a Kubota engine before I will pay for the OEM parts.
This is a fatal flaw with this block, due to oil pressure issues. There is a youtube video of a guy who put a 4cylinder cummins in replacement. What is this in for a machine?
It's in a 226. I actually have a good complete engine out of a 246 but it is turbo and the turbo makes it taller so I don't know if it will fit. I have thought about changing the fuel and exhaust system out with the one on the 226 but I don't know if there are other differences such as timing or something.
New Holland 665 & LS170. It’s an 844T in them.
565 and ls160 had 844 with no turbo
I believe the turbo is one major difference between the 2. Dad has a 665 & just bought a LS170 because of the service his 665 has given him over the last 15 years.
Good to hear everyone one around here seems to get good service out of the new Hollands. As long as they keep oil in the engine. There for a bit I was buying blown up 665s for 2000 ish paint engine rebuild new seat and tires and making money on them. Not with the current prices
he’s the only one I know of that has either of these machines. what is common life expectancy with these 844Ts?
I don't see why they wouldn't make 6-8000 hours I've seen them in the high 5000s already if you keep oil in them.
To answer your first question: Go to Machinery Trader scroll down to dismantled machines, put in Cat, then 226 and you will see 2 pages of possible parts machines. Northeast Diesel in Pennsylvania has a few. Sit down with the telephone, and make notes of who you talked to and when, My experience you will have to call some of these outfits multiple times over multiple days. I bought an engine from Cooks in Michigan. Nice guys and they had the parts, just took half a dozen phone calls or more with them to complete the deal. 2nd question: Take the service information for the 2 engines and compare, I believe the turbo only adds 10 horsepower, I would venture to bet they are the same, there is a part number on the block that you could compare to start with. You could pull the front covers and compare the part number on the end of the camshaft.
Thanks,I'll try that.