I'm a newbie here but I have a 2016 JD 326E Skid Steer which is currently not moveable. Over the course of about 3 or 4 start cycles the following situation developed. At first the codes could be erased and the machine could be moved a bit before they came back...now they are there from power up. Right after power up we get the message "Return Controls to Center" (although they haven't been touched) then in fairly rapid succession we get HCU codes 2660.07, 2661.07, 2697.07, and 2698.07 which are both left and right joystick both x and y axis Mechanical Fault codes. Sometimes there is a message to "Enable Hydraulics" but of course it is not possible to either enable the hydraulics or take off the park brake by pushing the button on the pad. I have inspected all the wiring which seems to be in really good shape. I have cleaned the cannon plugs at the top of the cab and also the three connections going into the HCU. I have cleaned all the grounds I could find which seemed to be pretty good to start with. I'm just wondering if this could be the HCU itself or if there are more things I should take a look at. I very much appreciate anyones thoughts on this. Thanks a ton!
Welcome to HEF JBrad ! Will need the machine's complete serial number. That is real important for accurate information gathering. Since the DTC's are for both controllers, I would suspect an issue with the voltage supply to them or their grounds. Both controllers share both. Check the F15 15A fuse. Make sure it is tight in its holder. I would check all the connections for corrosion and fit. Check the grounds at the starter. Make sure the G02 black wire is connected and clean. Check your messages for a schematic.
Thanks a ton! I will head out an have a look at it today.
OK the PIN is 1T0326EKTGG296431 The F15 fuse has been checked and is tight, fuse wires seem tight and in good condition. Starter grounds including the G02 wire are clean an tight as is the frame ground and the engine ground from the battery. The JSL 3509.02 code appears intermittently often in addition to the joystick codes but doesn't store. I believe that it had to do with bad DTC info. Sometimes the codes aren't active for a short while after I start the engine so I was able to drive it into my shop and lift the boom otherwise it is pretty much as before with the joystick codes which disable the hydraulics as soon as one of them appears. When the controls are working at all they work perfectly and in the diagnostics menu both joysticks seem normal with 0 being center and +/- 100 in either direction on both axis. The joysticks do not appear on the calibration menu even with the machine fully warmed up...? I greatly appreciate your help and the schematic.
While there is not a specific calibration for the Joysticks, they are in the equation during threshold portion of the calibration procedure. While the wiring may appear to be OK, I still suspect a bad connection or possibly a broken wire intermittently opening on either the voltage supply or ground. With the ignition on, measure the supply voltage at the joystick while backprobing, wiggle and yank on the harness from the joysticks all the way to the HCU (forward controller on the right side frame). See if the voltage changes or drops out. Do the same with the ground, but instead you will looking for voltage to appear, which would indicate an issue. You may want to disconnect every connector along the way looking for water intrusion, corrosion, etc. While I do not think it will fix the problem, I see there is also new software available for your machine. You might want to consider getting that updated.
OK much appreciated! I will be away for a few days and will tackle that when I return. It does seem logical and certainly a preferred outcome if I do find something amiss.
So I've had another chance to take a look at it and with one probe on the P10 wire of the right joystick with the voltage holding steady at whatever was coming off the battery say 12.6V, I saw a reading of around 10V when I wiggled the harness between the starter and the HCU. So being very happy about this I uncovered a lot of the harness and now am unable to get any sort of a drop at all. The connections to the K8 switched relay have been checked as have the connections to the F15 fuse. Despite this, the left and right joystick codes remain active. The right joystick code s (2660.07 and 2661.07) are each followed by 1 1346 and 4 1346 and the Left joystick codes (2697.07 and 2698.07) are each followed by 1 1346. I am going to try a bit more to find a problem in the wiring but failing that is there any chance that I might be able to take the HCU into a dealer and is that the sort of thing that they might be able to hook it up and see if it has a problem? Thanks again PS. I did also the same check with the probe one the P10 wire of the left joystick with similar results. Also I checked for voltage in the negative wire to the joystick and found nothing exceeding about 300mV
Sorry, i should have said no negative voltage exceeding 30mV
If they have an E series machine there of the same model, they might be able to try on their machine. But, no, they do not have the ability to connect to just the controller or test it by itself. Also make sure the green and yellow wires to the controllers are sound. The yellow will measure approximately 2.5 volts and the green 2.4 volts. See if those voltages are ever lost or change.