Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 350 vs Case 450

HeavyT ยท 2008-08-28 13:18

I am looking at getting a small dozer in a about 12,000# weight class. It looks like a John Deere 350 and Case 450 are just about the same weight. I am thinking a year of production in the late 80's or early 90's. Would anyone have comments on which one they like better and why? Any years to stay away from? Thank you

Replies6
  1. #1justaddwata2008-08-31 01:25

    I am looking for feedback on the opposite - The John Deere 450 Vs the Case 350. (Wanted to make a new thread but as a new member I lack the power ) I have a few acres to work in New England and some large (up to mini van sized) bolders to push about. Would one be better or more capable than the other. I like the 4 in 1 bucket option with the Case over the 6 way blade of the JD as I will be moving some dirt and stone. But could push it if need be. Any feedback would be appreciated. Looking forward to hearing answers to the above post too Thanks Guys !!

  2. #2John White2008-09-01 16:06

    You cant compare a Case 350 to a JD450. You would have to go to at least Case 450. If you are going to do very much real dozer work, you would want a 450. I owned a Case 350 and it does a fair job for what is was made for but it does not compare to a little Komatsu or Mitsubishi.

  3. #3justaddwata2008-09-01 16:11

    Appreciate the feedback John. I actually checked out both and agree that the 350 is a notch or two below. Ended up buying the 450. Thanks again

  4. #4MikeinMaine2009-04-20 19:25

    John, how did your Case 450 work out removing your boulders?

  5. #5greenerdreams2009-05-02 10:31

    Just to chime in, I have a case 350b and for what I use it it does great. I think the one advantage that no one has looked at is the smaller machines can usually be purchased for much less $ than the larger ones. Obviously the bigger machines produce more but they also cost much more and wear things out that much quicker due to the extra weight and stress they can produce.

  6. #6MikeinMaine2009-05-02 11:29

    Well, I just got done the first work with my new (LOL) 1976 Case 450. Dug a stump and a couple of boulders. Took some time to work the stump out by digging up the roots and then getting under it. Bigger machines cost more to buy and fix, but wouldn't they last longer given the same size work they are put to as a smaller dozer?