I have a John Deere 350DLC that will not swing either direction. You can hear the pumps and engine load as you attempt to swing and the house does move very slightly. It seems like the swing lock is not releasing. Is the swing lock released with a solenoid? if so where is the solenoid located. I tried to find a schematic online for this circuit but was unsuccessful. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The Thrust Washer on my older JD 490 broke, caused it to not swing. What is the history of the problem? just one day it doesn't move, or it went out while swinging? any noises? Were you into the hydraulic system recently?
The first thing to check would be the case drain.There should be a line on the motor(I think its a 6 ors) going back to the reservoir or the oil cooler pipe.Remove that and stick it in a bucket and try the swing.If the oil comes out of there like a fire hose then you have a swing motor problem. The swing should be able to overpower the brake which is released by pilot pressure.The next thing to check is if the swing gear box has piled up.If it is loading up the hydraulics then that would be my next guess.The swing pinion may have taken the teeth out of the swing planetary .
Thanks for the quick replies. The swing stopped working after it had been shutdown for lunch. We have not been at the hydraulics recently. We have other equipment that has had swing issues and it has always been the solenoid and never the swing motor or swing drive. I did not think that the swing motor should be able to swing through the brake. I will check the case drain from the motor as well as the swing drive. Thanks again for the information.
Another thing to check would be the swing brake release valve on the side of the swing motor.There is an orifice beside it which slows the application of the swing brake so that it is only applied when the house stops swinging .The swing brake should release by pilot oil anytime you use a dig function.
Make sure to check the drain first at low throttle as joeblow said . If the thrust washer is broken like alaskaforby4 you could burst the motor case . I did on a Ex200 -5. Them thrust washers seem to be a weak spot .
I checked the brake release pressure at the motor and I have 40Kg/cm's which I assume is the proper pressure. I lifted the motor from the swing drive and operated the swing left and right, no movement of the motor shaft. I can see the case drain line vibrate heavily when the swing is operated. I am also able to see the top half of the motor body lift from the lower half and seep oil while operating the swing. I am confident that the motor is damaged internally. I am sourcing a new motor. Thank you all for the great information, I hope to be able to help in the future.