Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 35D Third function problem.

Southern Man ยท 2020-10-05 20:30

I have a problem that I would like some input on. I have a 2012 35d that I use the third function to operate an auger as well as the factory thumb. About 2 years ago I was using the auger one day and it quit in one direction. Then quit altogether. A few days later it started working again. A few days after that the thumb quit working. A few days later it started working again. A year later the same thing happened, working one minute, next nothing. Last week while using the auger, it happened again, worked off and on for 2 days. Yesterday I changed the auger out for the rake and the thumb worked. Showed up at the jobsite this morning and the thumb is not working again. Where should I start looking for answers? Thinking the solenoid valve, looked around for it but could not find it, stopped by the JD yellow iron dealer today and talked to the service manager. He said he had no idea where it was located but for $125 an hour they would see if they could find it. any help would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Replies15
  1. #1mg23612020-10-06 04:52

    Serial number please.

  2. #2Southern Man2020-10-06 05:32

    1ff035dxh0g269452

  3. #3Southern Man2020-10-06 11:05

    new development. This morning the third function started working again, HOWEVER, something else came up. The machine is not walking properly. In high and low speed the machine will be walking fine and then all of a sudden it will slow, then pick up speed again. While it is moving slower than it should if you add something to the mix like engage swing, boom or stick the travel speed picks up. Seems like adding another function would slow the machine and not speed it up. Though I had an electrical issue, now Im wondering if I have a valve issue somewhere. And this tractor has just over 900 hours on it. This for sure is above my pay grade so please chime in experts. Thanks Mike

  4. #4Southern Man2020-10-06 12:14

    stopped for a few minutes and switched off. Restarted and the 3rd function is not working again but the walking is fine.

  5. #5mg23612020-10-06 12:26

    Mounted under the bottom side of the cab right side (basically under the pilot controller). Could still be an electrical issue. Will it slow down and speed up in low (turtle) range or only in high range? Travel speed and auxiliaries share the same power source, the F8 fuse. the speeding up when activating another function most likely is the pump coming into stroke because of that function causing the pumps to come into stroke increasing oil flow and therefore increasing the speed of the tracks. I suspect an electrical issue with the power circuit to the auxiliaries and 2 speed. Has the pilot filter been changed? Has pilot pressure been checked?

  6. #6uffex2020-10-06 12:56

    Good day May I suggest to reduce the guessing time you source a Hydraulic & Electric schematic that would be areal help to find the issue. Kind regards Uffex

  7. #7Southern Man2020-10-06 13:41

    MG, yes it slows and speeds up in both the low and high range. You just notice it moreso when its in high. I was planning on changing all fluids and filters at 1,000 hours but I can do it earlier just to rule a bad filter out in this problem. As you can tell by the total hours I do not use this machine every day and I change engine oil and filter every 100 hours. I try and stretch the fuel filter to every other oil change but sometimes it has to be replaced early. Where is the pilot filter and how do I access it? Do I have to tilt the cab to get to the solenoid valve? I had to change out a hose in the left joystick one time so I have had the cab raised before, I guess I should have looked around under there and taken photos before closing it back. Thanks for your input

  8. #8mg23612020-10-07 04:47

    Remove the bottom panel at the left rear of the machine. Yes

  9. #9Southern Man2020-10-07 08:44

    mg, 2 more questions. is there another solenoid or 2 that change the drive from low to high speed? and do you recommend the clear Hitachi oil, thats what is recomended in the 130G that I bought new. I have both the clear Hitachi and the yellow JD Hyguard

  10. #10mg23612020-10-07 12:01

    Yes, also under the cab mounted just in front of the hydraulic control valve. It is in a block with the pilot enable solenoid. Yes, Hitachi oil only.

  11. #11Southern Man2020-10-14 17:25

    MG, my maintenance planner shows 3 different Hyd oil filters including the pilot control filter. part # 4294130 pilot filter located in left rear comparment part # 4617513 suction filter part # at308568 return filter I only find the filter in the tank, where is the other located? and 2 fuel filters are offered 5 and 20 micron elements, which should I use?

  12. #12Southern Man2020-10-14 20:29

    Went back out and thought I would just tinker around a bit. First I took a pair of plires and tapped all around on the joystick with no positive results. Next Folded down the kickplate door below the seat, the fusebox is mounted into a metal plate there from the back. I tapped that metal plate around the fusebox and the 3rd function started working again. Next unbolted the metal plate to get to the back side of it to inspect the wires going into the fuseblock, no luck the plate is larger than the opening. Tomorrow I am going to make another stab at it tomorrow Hopefully I can figure out a way to the backside and find a loose connection or two.

  13. #13mg23612020-10-15 05:13

    You have to remove the floor board to get that out. I would use the 5 micron. Just be aware that a filter that tight can plug up faster if you have any garbage in your tank.

  14. #14Southern Man2020-10-20 13:24

    MG, I want to thank you for your knowledge and help, I actually sold the machine yesterday as-is, and after disclosing the problem to the new owner. My new 60G will be here on Thursday or Friday. I should be good to go problem free for a while now.

  15. #15mg23612020-10-21 04:37

    You're welcome. I wish you the best with your 60G. The G mini's have proven very reliable so far so you should get years of good use out of it.