Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 410 problems

L.M. REESE ยท 2017-12-24 21:25

I've got a 410 (not letter series) that is missing the hydraulic reservoir cap and dipstick. Does anyone know how long the dipstick is supposed to be and how far up the full mark is? Also, when you put the machine in gear and engage the reverser it takes several seconds to start moving after you let out on the clutch. Any ideas about that?

Replies5
  1. #1Deon2017-12-25 08:05

    I did own one of those 410 years back. Can't tell you about the dip stick length but maybe help with the clutch. The clutch pedal controls the a dry clutch disk just like a truck but there is suppose to be a delay because although the transmission is attached to the engine crankshaft when the clutch is out, the drive motion is controlled by an internal hydraulic clutch. The delay is controlled by an oil accumulator that sends pressure to the hydraulic clutch slowly so as to make a soft engagement. But the delay on my machine was only maybe 1 second. The only time I used the pedal was to shift gears with the stick shift on the floor. Reverse, neutral and forward should be done with the column shuttle shifter without touching the pedal. That machine was design to change direction at any throttle speed and yes also at wide open throttle. Maybe you already know all of this but if not you know now.

  2. #2seville0092017-12-25 08:14

    This listing shows the dipstick with a tape measure https://m.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-DEERE-OIL-GAUGE-DIPSTICK-PART-NUMBER-AT21534-/201386159040

  3. #3showrguy2017-12-26 16:31

    Are you talking about the one that's right in front of the seat ?? I could measure mine if ya need it..

  4. #4White Excavating2017-12-26 22:41

    Pull the filter and cut it in half. Look for metal. If you have metal that's a bad sign and have it look at. I had similar problem with a 410g. Cut filter apart and it was full of clutch material? or dirt, just some kind of gritty material. If you lost your cap I bet that's your problem. I changed fluid and new filter. Fixed.

  5. #5cpedwards2017-12-30 21:07

    when cold my 410B does the same thing. but I only use the clutch to shift gears not the shuttle shift. NOw if I change gears before it gets hot it will take a while to get going. But if I dont shift gears and just shuttle shift it usally moves quick