Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 410 shutting off (on it’s own)

410Deere ยท 2013-06-03 08:19

So, my old 410 backhoe has a new trick. I was pushing up a brush pile the other day when it suddenly stopped running. When it happened, I was sitting still, not working. I hit the starter and it fired right up. I went back to work. About 5 minutes later, same thing... it stopped running again. I was thinking fuel filter so I replaced it. After the new filter was on, I fired up and went back to work. Again, same thing, it runs great then just shuts down. It always cranks right back up. I checked the voltage on the fuel solenoid. It's got a full 12 with the switch on. I had it running with a voltage meter on the solenoid when it shut off on it's own. The voltage never dropped below 12. I had it running on level ground when I was checking the solenoid. It cut off several times on it's own just sitting there. Has anyone had this issue before? If so, what was the problem? Thanks guys! -lee

Replies8
  1. #1Delmer2013-06-03 08:38

    If it starts right up immediately, and dies just idling, it doesn't sound like it's fuel. Possibly the solenoid coil is going bad, intermittent heat problems sound electrical to me. If this is a hobby machine you could just keep using it, I'll bet it will be obvious soon enough. Or you could check the ohms of the solenoid, cold, after being on for a while, and immediately after it dies, and compare to a good one?

  2. #2tomfitzy2013-06-03 09:12

    I had same prob. Take line off fuel filter from tank. Blow air into it. The screen in tank partially clogged. This will hold U over for a while and prove u have sediment in tank

  3. #3410Deere2013-06-03 09:13

    Is the solenoid replaceable without having to remove the pump? Better yet, can it be replaced without having to disassemble the pump? I've only heard of bad things happening when those things are taken apart. It looks like it is either mounted underneath the top cover or is part of the top cover. Something else I noticed yesterday. From time to time (while running) the pump doesn't seem to respond to throttle input. That is, when I press the pedal, the engine rpm doesn't change. If I let it set and idle for a few seconds, things go back to normal. The whole intermittent problems are what have me baffled. My experiences with diesel engines are that they either run or they don't. This is the first 'sometimes' issue that I've had. I'll check the ohms as you've suggested and post the results. -lee

  4. #4410Deere2013-06-03 09:17

    Tom, I removed the fuel line at the output side of the filter and turned the engine over. There seemed to be a good flow of fuel coming from the lift pump. I can remove the fuel tank and give it a good cleaning though. I'm sure it's never been cleaned. -lee

  5. #5tomfitzy2013-06-03 09:49

    It will still flow but eventually starve. Just blow air to clean out or clean screen.

  6. #6Delmer2013-06-03 10:19

    NOW the truth comes out! Forget the solenoid for now. See if you have a screw in fitting on the tank that the fuel supply comes from, if you do that is removable to clean the screen, EDIT: the following applies to newer models, sorry for the confusion... or replace it with a SS screen from a paint sprayer or farm store crop sprayer part. The plastic screens get plugged and collapse, the engine dies and the pressure equalizes and the screen pops back open and works for a while until it collapses again. Usually this happens with more demand for fuel/load, but the lack of throttle response is a typical.

  7. #7410Deere2013-06-03 10:23

    Lol, sorry. I went down to my shop (where the machine is) to have a look at the pump. For whatever reason, I remembered the lack of throttle response thing. The tank does have a needle valve screwed into the bottom. I'll remove it and have a look. -lee

  8. #8Steve Frazier2013-06-03 22:17

    My 410(no letter) didn't have a fuel solenoid, it was a shut off valve. I had similar trouble to what you describe in cooler weather and went nuts trying to find a fuel restriction. I finally drained the tank and flushed it with high pressure water and blew out the water. There's a screen at the bottom of the tank that was clogged, after I flushed the tank I didn't have any trouble.